Help.. My Chicks Eye Is Swollen Lots Of Puss!!

GAChknGirl

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 10, 2009
Denver, Illinois
My chicks eye was swollen so i pressed on it and puss and cottage cheese like infection came out i realized his eye was completely gone... What can i do to get the infection out?? i have been giving antibiotics in the water... what else can i do?

I am going through this hell as well. I used saline solution(for contacts) and antibiotic ointment on the outside. The solution has been flushing it but i use a little so the eye dosn't dry out. Sound silly but i felt like it did. It seems to be getting better. At one point it was swollen shut. I just put the ointment on and let her be. It opened up and the top fowl pox fell off. the bottom one is still on there but it's looking much better.

now for her hubby.....OEGB do not like you messing with their girls! LOL He let me get her last time, i swear they knew i was helping.

good luck!

With any eye problem, (in addition to daily flushing with a sterile saline solution (you can make your own saline by boiling 1/2 tsp salt in a half gallon of water for five minutes > make fresh daily) and the opthamolic antibiotic cream afterwards,)
you should give three drops of POLYCISOL enfamil in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next as vit.A deficiency is usually present to one degree another with eye symptoms. (polyvisol is a liquid childrens A-B-D vitamin solution)

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to one of my gals , keep pressing on the eye to get as much goo out as you can . I found that as soon as I got all the cheese out and kept the eye ointment in .. she got better really quick . I used oxytetracycline that worked the best , 14 full days ... also I read on here somewhere you could use neosporin instead of the terramycin ointment it is way cheaper and readily available . I now have a one eyed chicken but she did survive . There is hope .

Your bird may have coryza - does it have any other signs of a possible respiratory disease? Is the whole face swollen? Bad smell coming from eyes and mouth? You may want to look into treating with tylan, as even if it is just a really nasty conjunctivitis, it may take more than water soluble antibiotics to bring the bird around. The problem with water soluble meds is that a sick bird may not drink enough to get adequate meds and the problem will go on and on, becoming chronic. Tylan comes in an injectable form and can be given twice a day, either IM or orally (squirt the meds down the throat). The dosage is 35 mg/kg - it is available only through a vet, though.

A really good eye ointment to use is called fucithalmic ointment. As suggested, flush the eyes with warm saline or even warmed colloidal silver. Then put the fucithalmic in the eye. Hopefully it does the trick. I have had three one-eyed chickens in the past (still have one, in fact) and they all do just fine.

Good luck with your bird,

Laura

I have a boy who has had eye problems since he hatched a number of years ago without ever passing it on to anyone else. Once in a while his eyes get worse, the best I have ever been able to figure is allergies. No treatment has completely cleared this away. Anyways, a year or so ago they got as bad as the OP's bird. I truly though he had lost his eye. Surprise, once the infection and inflammation cleared up, there was the eye, good (or bad) as new.

Back
Top Bottom