Help! My coturnix quail is having trouble laying her egg

Tamzel

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
My quail is having trouble laying her egg it seems to be stuck on the outside hanging and covered in blood it's been like this for at least a half an hour I don't know what to do she's around 8 weeks. She keeps walking around and trying to push but nothing happens and she will lay back down and close her eyes and try to push and it won't fully come out and I haven't seen blood with any of the other eggs from her or the other female Coturnix quail. Please help I love my birds.

My quail is having trouble laying her egg it seems to be stuck on the outside hanging and covered in blood it's been like this for at least a half an hour I don't know what to do she's around 8 weeks. She keeps walking around and trying to push but nothing happens and she will lay back down and close her eyes and try to push and it won't fully come out and I haven't seen blood with any of the other eggs from her or the other female Coturnix quail. Please help I love my birds.
I can post a picture but it is not pretty. :(

Sorry about your quail. First, I know very little about them, but hopefully others will come along. There is a quail forum as well that you can post a thread. Can you soak her in some warm water, and try to lubricate her vent with some oil and help her get the egg out? What do you feed them? Sometimes a calcium deficiency can cause egg binding, and dehydration is another cause. I would give her some ground egg shells mixed in a bit of scrambled egg for calcium and vitamin D 3. Offer her water. Here is the quail forum and click on the green box:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/quail.48/

Sorry about your quail. First, I know very little about them, but hopefully others will come along. There is a quail forum as well that you can post a thread. Can you soak her in some warm water, and try to lubricate her vent with some oil and help her get the egg out? What do you feed them? Sometimes a calcium deficiency can cause egg binding, and dehydration is another cause. I would give her some ground egg shells mixed in a bit of scrambled egg for calcium and vitamin D 3. Offer her water. Here is the quail forum and click on the green box:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/quail.48/
I feed them game bird feed, I also give

They are fed game bird feed, it is specifically for quail and partridge and other game birds. They all get crushed oyster shells for extra calcium, it seems to be a bit big. So I grind it more in a blender for them. They have several water feeders that get refilled daily. I did put her in warm water, and gently helped unattach the egg. The bleeding stopped but her inside were still out. We very gently pushed them back in as to what we read over and over online while looking for answers. It took a couple times for it to remain inside so I held her and calmed her and kept her warm until I felt it what alright to put her down. I have her alone, away from the others. I am keeping a close eye on her and keeping her calm and warm.

We also have bobwhite quail, chuckar partridge and hungarian partridge. And never have I experienced anything like this. The coturnix we hatched from eggs, they joined our family Easter weekend. I instantly fell in love with these little birds. I hope she is okay. I don't know how much more crying I can do, and if she falls sick or becomes infected I just don't think I can deal. She is very unique, out of the 13 female we have she is the only one with a white feather on each side, and runs to me daily. I just love her so much. Thank you for your reply and for the quail forum.

Back
Top Bottom