HELP MY DUCK ISNT PIPPING AND IM WORRIED

Duck girl 123

Hatching
Nov 3, 2023
I put my duck egg into lockdown two days ago there was only one to survive it was moving like crazy the day I put it in (already looked like it was trying to internally pip ) now there’s nothing! I want to open the incubator to candle it just to give myself price of mind but I don’t want to disturb it there’s no pip or cracks or anything and today is now day 27 should there be something or am I panicking for nothing

I put my duck egg into lockdown two days ago there was only one to survive it was moving like crazy the day I put it in (already looked like it was trying to internally pip ) now there’s nothing! I want to open the incubator to candle it just to give myself price of mind but I don’t want to disturb it there’s no pip or cracks or anything and today is now day 27 should there be something or am I panicking for nothing
I think it is too early to worry. Baby ducklings need lots of sleep, and when they sleep they are not moving the egg around. They also spend many hours absorbing the yolk before they hatch, and they do not have to wiggle the egg to do it. So that baby duck is probably busy absorbing the yolk right now, and taking plenty of naps, getting ready for the hard work of cracking the shell in a day or so :)

There is a good article on assisted hatching:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

At the moment, the most useful parts would be about recognizing when to help and when to leave it alone. Most baby birds will hatch just fine with no help, and trying to help can cause problems for them, but a few really do need help, and a few will not make it even with help. Knowing which is which, and when to help the ones that need it, can be difficult.

Duck update there’s still nothing it’s day 29 now I candled it yesterday and was still alive I just can’t tell if it’s internally pipped yet temperature dropped this morning to 36.1 but only for about 10 minutes think it’s because it’s gone very cold where I live. I don’t know wether I should put in a safety hole just to make sure it can still breathe if it has internally pipped. the air bubble looks like a oblong shape on top of the egg and on the large end did see movement at the large end on the edge of the air bubble when I candled it if that makes sense. I don’t know wether I should candle it again today just to check it’s still alive but don’t want to disrupt it hatching by shining the light on it I want to just leave it alone but I’m so worried about it now. It’s a white Campbell egg if that gives anyone any more ideas about what I should do this is my second time trying to hatch but lost the last baby the day of lockdown so think I’m just extra worried about this one- this baby seemed so much more active than the last time. If anyone has any advice on what I should do it would be much appreciated thanks

Back
Top Bottom