1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help !!! My ducks cheek is swollen !!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cat1994, Oct 20, 2010.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    So I go out to feed my 4 Call ducks and I see that one of my males has a swollen cheek!!! It is like he has big cheeks only on one side ,under his eye. Its not bad right now his eye is not swollen. He is eating and doing every thing that a healthy duck dose!!!
    What is it?
    Has anyone had this befor?
    Is it bad?
    Help me!!!
    Im worrying myself sick!!!

2. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Get him inside with good lighting and see if you can find a scab or scratch or puncture wound. It sounds like an abscess. If you find a scab, pick it. Apply a face cloth dipped in very warm water for about 5-10 minutes and gently press the outer border of the abscess and see if any puss is released. If so, its bacterial and you need to put your little quacker on some antibiotics for 7-10 days.
    BTW, pictures are great! So try to get some.

3. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Ok so I looked and it has no wound, it is soft (is that good or bad) . I don't know what to do, I could not find any wound at all. I did get some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    can anyone help me [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Will some one please help me

6. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Can you look inside it's mouth to see if something is wrong in there?

7. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Sorry, I've been tied up with anatomy class and my 3 year old. [​IMG]

The cheek is significantly more swollen. And I agree with the recent post to possibly look inside his mouth. Perhaps he has a foreign object stuck in the cheek wall or that is the point of entry of some injury. Can you apply warm compresses to help it come to a head? I'm not keen on duck anatomy so I don't know if they have a sinus cavity in their cheeks like we do. As long as he is eating/drinking/pooping normally, I'd be ok with it.
    Perhaps get some info on duck anatomy and see if it could be a clogged duct or sinus cavity. [​IMG]

8. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    can you look in his mouth? could it be comming from the inside?

9. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Thanks everybody for all your help [​IMG] I will try to look in his mouth [​IMG] but its nots going to easy [​IMG] he is not the tamest of duck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by