HELP! My goat gave birth! REALLY BAD NEWS Post#77 Need Answers

Well so far the one that was twisting it's neck around seems to be gettimg better. But you know how animals can be. They get better and then die! I gave them some milk replacer. Once I did that that's when they seemed to have waaaay more energy. I brought mom in the house and she was licking them and talking to them. I tried to get them to suck on her but they are still pretty weak. I did however squeeze her colostrum out of her to give to the babies. I got about 2tsp is that enough? I did it until nothing else came out. I sooooo apreciate all of your guys advice and support.

Helmstead- Your right you never know until their pushing. It's just too bad she was pushing in the middle of the night.

try milking her every half hour, or even fifteen minutes, push up on her udder (if she'll let you) like a kid would. I dont't think two tsp is enough. The more often you milk her, the more it will stimulate her and cause her to produce more milk. You have to get as much colostrum in her as you can to-DAY!
Good luck, and you have a lot of people rooting for you. Sorry you are going through this. Are you sure she is only seven months? This doesn't even seem possible, but I know very little about goats reproduction.

Last edited:
It sounds like you're doing a great job with them. You still need try and get them on the momma or continue milking her. They need as much of that colostrum that they can get. Keep us updated. You can get bottle nipples at the feed store (the ones we got from TS fit the LGT bottle withouth leaking) and use a plastic bottle that has had water, Lipton green tea (these seem to work the best for us), etc in it, just make sure it has been well cleaned before adding the colostrum or kid saver to it. You can use a syringe minus the needle for the colustrum...we have done this before putting them on a bottle.
smile.png

If you have to bottle feed them, every 3-4 hours for the first few days to 1st week and then you can stretch it further if you need too. We have actually fed our bottle babies every 8-9 hours (due to our work schedules). Feel their bellies...if it feels full, they are. Not sure, feel the belly before feeding and then after...that gives you and idea what to look for. If bottle feeding they may or may not take a bottle easily. I have had to hold them in my lap and pry open mouths before, once they latch on they are usually good to go and I've had others that latch right onto the bottle.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding stupid but I have to ask. Do you have to pee and poop baby goats? I've done it for orphaned kittens but like I said before I have no idea what I'm doing. It's okay if your laughing at me. I finally have a minute to sit down and breath and laugh at myself. Most of this morning I've been crying and freaking out. Thanks again!

No they don't need stimulated
wink.png

I would do as suggested and keep trying to milk her hourly. I aim for 2 oz per feeding minimum...and they can only absorb those antibodies for the first 24 hrs...max.

I guarantee no one is laughing, We are all 100% seriously rooting for you! Big hug, treat yourself to a mug of hot chocolate, or something, to give yourself a lift for a minute if you need it. I'd bring you one if you were close!

Actually.... the mother does "whicker" (not sure if it's a word...what we call it. Makes noises and nips or nibbles) at their backsides for the first week or so, especially the first few days. We have always assumed it is how she gets that whole process started.

Word of warning: the first time or two they pooh, it will be very dark to black and sticky looking, don't worry it is normal. Also if you see them urninate...good, that means they are getting fluids and not dehydrated.

smile.png

Quote:
Well with gas prices being so low, if I didn't have the 2 babies to take care of I'd gladly come to you for a cup
hugs.gif

I agree with helmstead as they need colostrum for the first 24 hrs at least. Massage the udder of the doe and the pinch litely and roll your fingers down to express the milk or colostrum. The more they get the better. I also would feed either half & half or whole cows milk instead of replacer as it wont clot in the tummy . Keep at the babies with mom as its better for them and easier for you in the long run. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom