Help my hen has chicken canker

shilah

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 2, 2013
I got goldie about 3 weeks ago and a couple days ago discovered she has chicken canker (yellow build up and lesions in her mouth and around her beak) She has been an unhappy chicken from the day I got her so I suspect her immune system was already compromised before I got her. I have been giving her 250mg of metronidazole for 2 days now and no change at all and now it look like she has spread it to all my chickens. Has anyone here dealt with chicken canker and successfully handled it? Also any home remedies that will help boost the healing process? I have ACV in my chickens water, am giving them yogurt with probiotics, DE and garlic. Any other suggestions?

Here is a pic of what I am dealing with

I have several that look like that. I'm no expert, lol, but that looks like wet pox to me. Have one that looks worse than that that I need to work on today... With her I'll remove the pus, apply iodine tincture to lesions, de-worm her, dust for mites/lice and tube feed since she has not been eating.

-Kathy

If it is wet pox, I am screwed as I do not have the time right now to give her the attention and care she needs. This is the fourth bird in the last 3 weeks that has gotten sick from something, all from the same supplier, I will not ever buy chickens from her again, that's for sure. I'm returning all birds that I got from this supplier. Thanks for your help

Wouldn't there be pox scabs on the comb and wattles as well, at least a few, on some of the chickens if it is wet fowl pox? Can your vet do a scraping of the material to ID fungus versus a virus? Even delivering a tiny piece of the material to the vet's office to look at under a microscope might be helpful.

Last edited:
Like I said, I'm no expert, but I have several that have no scabs, just the pus. Some cover very quickly from removing it and applying iodine, but others don't. I've thought about send some of the pus off to the lab, but I'm too lazy to get the supplies need to do it, lol.

-Kathy

I have two in a cage right now, neither have scabs, will get pictures of them when I treat and tube.

-Kathy

Forgot to mention, I think my turkey has dry pox, but it's not the normal presentaion, it's on her bare breast! I'll get pictures of that, too.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom