Help! My hens’ eyes are swelling shut!

Jrd7788

Songster
Oct 27, 2018
Yesterday I went out to my coop and let the chickens out. They all seemed fine but I noticed a lump on my Buff Orpington hen’s eye. I put Vaseline on it and my other hen Laura . I suspect fowl pox, but they all eat fine and eagerly. My 7 hens and 1 peachick are out in a small pasture with 4 goats and a sheep. They are let out to roam in the morning and fed and put away at night. I clip their wings when they need it. They are with a rooster 24/7 and have hatched 7 chicks sooo far, 18 more on the way! What do you think I should do for my hens?

I agree with Eggcessive. Definitely looks like a severe case of dry fowl pox, on the comb, wattles, and around the eyes. Course of treatment suggestion, is good. I would just add one thing, Vetericyn for the eyes, if they don't respond to the Terramycin within two days. Vetericyn will address bacteria, fungi & viruses. Possibly could treat mucus around nostrils & eyes from Coryza. The Tylosin (Tylan) will help if there is MG or Coryza.

If the chickens contract wet pox, this can result in death. Be vigilant for symptoms in the respiratory system, eyes, mouth and throat.

The chicken with the eye that is crusted over, is in bad shape. Hopefully this is due to blisters too close to the inner lid. Do as Eggcessive, said, use a warm compress to loosen that crusted mucous. You should do this at least three times a day.

This case will require a multi-course of treatments. Besides medications and warm compresses, keep stress low, offer plenty of food and fresh water. Boost immune system with vitamin supplement, for three days. Echinacea tea diluted in one gallon water is another immune system booster.

Dry pox is not something that is normally of such great concern. However, your birds have severe symptoms. This is a virus, and can lower the immune system, causing secondary infection.

These are my thoughts on your chicken's issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

This is Lucy. She’s only been like this for a day. I had a female peachick with something similar to this on her die a few months ago.

Welcome to BYC. Can you post a picture of the swollen eye, or the pox? If you are dealing with pox, it is best to not disturb the scabs, since they can spread the virus. A swollen eye can be a sign of a respiratory disease, an eye infection, or a peck injury.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom