cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I’m pretty sure that my 9 month old Maltipoo, Haven, is in heat for the first time! She is a bit bloody “down there” and I’ve noticed that her nipples seem a little larger. I’m not prepared at all! Help please!

I have a lot of experience with dogs going into heat.
If you have some specific questions I'll do my best to answer them.

I’m not really sure what questions to ask. Could you just give me information ?
Well when ours go into heat we just let them be, just make sure that she doesn't get out of the house off lead because she could run away.
And to make sure she doesn't get blood on stuff you can buy something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/sspa/click?ie=UTF8&spc=MTozMzA5OTU5MjQxMjM5MTIzOjE2ODU4OTcyMTk6c3BfYXRmOjIwMTY0Njg3Mjc1Njk4OjowOjo&url=/Sanitary-Washable-Protective-Trousers-Bleeding/dp/B0BZPKLZH1/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?keywords=dog+in+heat+pants&qid=1685897219&sr=8-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Last edited:
Denver has went through 2 heat cycles she probably will go through 1 to 2 more before we spay her.
As maltipoos are small she may be easier to take care of. Make sure that area stays clean. You can buy diapers for her.
Definitely keep her away from male dogs. No other dog play dates. As it can stress her out.
She may stop eating, Denver has done it and so did other dogs. Try to make her eat but they get super picky.
She will crave a ton of attention somedays and otherdays not want to be near you.
You can still take her on walks, keep the routine going.
She should be done in 7 days to 14 days and just keep a eye out for infections, if you think something is wrong a vet visit never hurts!
Good luck! If you have more questions feel free to ask!

My dog seemed uncomfortable and confused when she had her first heat. I got her a few new toys that would hold her attention for a while to get her mind off it, like an animal horn that I could put some peanut butter inside for her to lick out.
Yes a new toy may help. But she could also think its a puppy if its stuffed. And it could turn into a false pregnancy. A relative of mine did this and her dog went through 3 false pregnancies.

Back
Top Bottom