Help! My Momma Pekin Duck Daisy is Missing. What do I do with her Eggs?

One of the other eggs just pipped at the wrong end. I can see it breathing in there so it should be just fine right? Leave it to Daisy to give me a clutch of special babies.

Attachments

• 248340882_4505587996185818_4813235495003337891_n.jpg
    248340882_4505587996185818_4813235495003337891_n.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 3
One of the other eggs just pipped at the wrong end. I can see it breathing in there so it should be just fine right? Leave it to Daisy to give me a clutch of special babies.
I would keep an eye on it, but sometimes they do hatch just fine when they pip at the wrong end. It looks like it has already made decent progress for just pipping.

I would keep an eye on it, but sometimes they do hatch just fine when they pip at the wrong end. It looks like it has already made decent progress for just pipping.
Yeah, I was just walking by and peeked in and was like oh theres a hole at the wrong end. Then I seen its little beak in there and I was like Oh, so we have an upside down babe. lol This first time hatching ducks is very interesting.

How's baby #1 doing with it's hernia? I had one duckling that somehow had a sharp piece of eggshell poking it's bill and had what looked like slightly bruised lines. It went away fairly quickly. As far as the hernia, I had a chicken hatch like that. I suspect she had a pretty tough hatch and the pressure from her straining to get out caused it. I kept her as clean and dry as possible. It eventually dried up and fell off. She's a beautiful little hen now. Of course every outcome will vary and keeping it clean is important because this has a high risk of infection. I am so excited for you! Hatching is so much fun and for me, addictive!

The one that's pipped on the wrong end may have gotten rolled around a little in the days before the internal pip. They can become disoriented and then have this happen. I would make sure you keep that humidity up, especially now that you have external pip/safety holes. It's a good idea to just keep in mind when each stage of hatching happens, because ducklings take forever to hatch but you want to know if they need further assistance. It's dangerous, sometimes fatal to assist unnecessarily too early

The one that's pipped on the wrong end may have gotten rolled around a little in the days before the internal pip. They can become disoriented and then have this happen. I would make sure you keep that humidity up, especially now that you have external pip/safety holes. It's a good idea to just keep in mind when each stage of hatching happens, because ducklings take forever to hatch but you want to know if they need further assistance. It's dangerous, sometimes fatal to assist unnecessarily too early
1st baby is doing great. He sleeps then peeps, then sleeps, then waddles around and scratching his feathers with his foot. Too cute. I'm not sure how often theyre supposed to peep at this stage. Idk if its because he's brand new and trying out his voice, or if its because the hernia bothers him. I was thinking of putting some triple antibiotic ointment that has pain reliever in it on the hernia to kind of protect it and help with the pain. I'm not sure what happened with the upside down duckling, but that's the way it wants to enter the world. lol. Im keeping an eye on it. I have only one other egg with a safe hole. I'm not going to do it with the rest unless absolutely necessary. That one has pipped and started working its way down the egg, and another has done the same thing. The rest are internally pipped but no external yet. THeyre all ready to go though, so I shall have 7 babies if all goes well. I candled them all after I took out the baby and there was one that was no veins and liquid, Idk what happend cause right before baby one started to pip it was alive and moving around. :( So only 7 babies now instead of 8.

No ointment because that will attract everything to stick to it and never use the pain relief ointment because it can be harmful to poultry. If you ever need to use triple antibiotic ointment, be sure to use the plain original formula, without the pain meds.
You're doing an excellent job! I hope you're giving yourself a pat on the back and an applause. You're awesome!

Hows does the little one's belly look? can you tell if it's absorbing?
It does look a little smaller. Its all dried up kind of like a scab. I think thats good, then less bacteria can harm it rather than it being wet and sticky. Hes doing great, introduced him to water and he took to it. No food yet, which is normal i believe, but its in there just in case he gets hungry. Upon checking the other eggs, no progress made on upside down baby. Still the same little hole, but at least he can breathe. When I candled, I could still see veins, so I didnt attempt to help him out yet. Might be too early. Duck number two is well on its way here, Id say another hour and we will have another duckling. Two other eggs have pip holes too, so I'd say today or tonight for them also. Unfortunately, two of the eggs I checked on this morning were gone. :( One never pipped at all, there had been no movement for over 48 hours, so I opened it, sure enough it was sadly dead, and it still had a huge yolk sac, so it must have died days ago when I locked down for baby 1. THe other egg internally pipped, but must have ran out of air, because it was dead too. I wish I had just made the safe hole. After you guys said it was risky, I didnt want to take the chance, but I should have just done it, that baby would be here. Just the beak was through the membrane into the air sac, you could see a little spot where it started to pip but it never made it that far. It also had a small yolk sac. It was closer but not yet ready either. My heart is sad. Now I'm down to 5 babies, hopefully everything goes more smoothly and these babies all make it.

I'm so sorry you lost the 2. Hopefully, the 5 will be healthy little ones and help ease the pain.
Maybe you need some extra support now that you have one coming from the wrong end.

@FunnyfarmMidwest
@WVduckchick
@shawluvsbirds

so happy for you that the first little one is doing so well.
You have @Pyxis article on helping just use your gut on when to help.
And please update often.

Back
Top Bottom