Help! My neighbors chicken is injured

Ayden_hartm

Hatching
Feb 16, 2024
Hi I'm new. I have been house watching my neighbors animals and noticed one if the chickens was injured laying on the floor. It's legs are twitching and cant get up. It's able to move It's wings a little but not much. When I was feeding the others it tried to ge
1000003547.jpg
t up but couldn't.
1000003554.jpg

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about the chicken. Do you know her age? Is there a rooster inside the run or other hens who may have injured her? Can they all get to food and water? The main possibilities I could suggest are an injury, possible dehydration, and then we always worry about Mareks disease when they cannot get up and move. You did the right thing to separate her in a dog crate, but you will need to hold her up and give sips of water. With her food, take a small amount and add some water to it to make it like oatmeal, and offer that. Scrambled egg is alos a good food for her. You can add a teaspoonful of sugar to her water. Let us know how she is in a few hours.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about the chicken. Do you know her age? Is there a rooster inside the run or other hens who may have injured her? Can they all get to food and water? The main possibilities I could suggest are an injury, possible dehydration, and then we always worry about Mareks disease when they cannot get up and move. You did the right thing to separate her in a dog crate, but you will need to hold her up and give sips of water. With her food, take a small amount and add some water to it to make it like oatmeal, and offer that. Scrambled egg is alos a good food for her. You can add a teaspoonful of sugar to her water. Let us know how she is in a few hours.
Thank you so much, she's a older chicken is what the owners told me and yes the flock has a very mean rooster. Thank you again I will do what you suggest and see how she does in a little

Just a little update. The chicken is doing much better. She's able to stand and move more but we'll see how she's doing in the morning

That is good to know. I would encourage food and water. Observe the rooster. If he is going after any hens, he may need to be caged. The best time to do that is to grab him off the roost in the dark. But don’t get yourself hurt.

Back
Top Bottom