Help My Pekin duck is bleeding from her vent. Corid doesn’t seem to work.

ThreeHappyDucks

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2022
Hi my 1year old female Pekin duck Cheeseball is bleeding with clear discharge out of her vent. She is not moving and eating for 2 days. We gave her corid having thought that she had coccidiosis however later my husband and I noticed the blood was not mixed with her poop but comes after the poop with clear slimy discharge.(please check the photo below) We are now not so sure if we are dealing with coccidiosis or egg bound. The local avian vets are not available, please help!

Attachments

• 5208ED73-3219-4DE0-8694-7D2D3876DF14.jpeg
    5208ED73-3219-4DE0-8694-7D2D3876DF14.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 59
When a duck is egg bound, they often pump their tail and pant. If think it is possibly egg bound, I would treat her for it because the treatment won't hurt even if she is not egg bound. You can try and feel for an egg, but you can't always feel them depending on their location. To treat for egg bound, give her calcium. You can use calcium gluconate, which is available at TSC. It say injectable, but you just give it orally 1ml. Calcium citrate is another you can use, which can be found at a local pharmacy. If you have nothing, you can use tums in a pinch.

Here is how to give drugs orally:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

The big worry is she hasn't been eating or drinking and will need have water tube feed to her otherwise she will die from dehydration. Sugar water or Gatorade would be best. I wouldn't do food, because that could make things worse.

Here is a link on tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

We just checked her vent and think there is an egg. 2 days ago, we also saw an undeveloped egg(soft shell/rubbery shell) hanging out of her vent. She’s in a warm bath now and we’re feeding her crushed oyster shells. Do I need to tube feed her if she’s not eating? She hasn’t eaten for almost for 3 days.
That is great you are giving her a bath. That can help pass eggs. I keep her in the bath as long as she will stand, an hour plus is best.

If she is drinking fluids, I would not worry about tube feeding. But if she is not drinking, she is going to need fluids. If she is blocked with an egg, and you force feed her, the food may have nowhere to go depending on how she is egg bound. So when say I tube feeding, I am not suggesting food at all, just fluids.

If you have or can get one of the other calcium forms, I would give that instead. It will absorb faster. I would give it twice a day and continue it after you duck lays her egg until she no longer has soft shelled eggs. It can take up to 24 hours for them to pass the egg.

Do you have any antibiotics? If you don't, I would consider getting one to just have on hand. If she doesn't improve, that might be worth trying. Depending on where you live you may be able to get antibiotics at TSC or a pet store still. Otherwise, you can get it online.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10
Hi again sorry for the late update. Cheeseballs condition improved significantly. She is able to walk, drink and eat vegetables. This morning she laid a crushed egg with clump of blood stuck within it. We are continuing the calcium supplements and discontinuing the Corid but not sure if any shell fragments in there will still hurt her. This comes as a surprise to us although we feed them crushed oyster shells and coral freely on a daily basis. We also sometimes crush oyster shells by hand for them as a treat.

Attaching some photos of the crushed egg she laid this morning..

Attachments

• 7ADDA039-2D7C-428F-9684-AF615F82A06D.jpeg
    7ADDA039-2D7C-428F-9684-AF615F82A06D.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 5
  • D6DA2E69-9DCC-4144-A1D8-AE5857A0589B.jpeg
    D6DA2E69-9DCC-4144-A1D8-AE5857A0589B.jpeg
    413.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 91AB11BA-067C-472A-A9AC-23EFD477B0BE.jpeg
    91AB11BA-067C-472A-A9AC-23EFD477B0BE.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 5
Great to hear she has improved. Hopefully keeping up with the calcium will help her lay anything else in there. Are you using Calcium gluconate it’s suppose to help them contract and push the egg out.
We are currently using calcium citrate in pill form (400mg of calcium). We also leave the crushed shells in with her drinking water while shes recovering.

That is great that she is doing better.

This comes as a surprise to us although we feed them crushed oyster shells and coral freely on a daily basis. We also sometimes crush oyster shells by hand for them as a treat.
I offer my ducks oyster shells, but not everyone does a good job eating them. My Pekin especially doesn't eat the oyster shells on her own. I tend to get thinned shelled eggs from her. We feed ours some layer feed on the side and have been administering her extra calcium everyday. Our Pekin is a big extreme because she never took a break from laying and never molted this winter. Even with this extra calcium her eggs are sometimes a bit thin still. Some ducks just require a bit of extra care even when you already doing all the right things.

Back
Top Bottom