Help! My Pekins are chasing off all the Mallards!

MichelleHiggs

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2017
Hi everyone! I need help! I rescued Pekin ducks from the shelter last summer. There was already one Pekin duck (Donald) on our pond who had lost his mate. He was on the pond before we moved here, so I adopted the 3 ducks so that he wouldn't be so lonely in the winter when the mallards fly away. Anyway, my 3 adopted ended up being 2 males and one female. They would not socialize with Donald because obviously the 2 males were possessive of their female. So much for Donald having a friend. But all 4 ducks lived on the pond in harmony with dozens of mallards and Canadian Geese.

This winter, something got to 2 of my rescued ducks in their pen (we suspect a weasel due to the way in which they were killed). That just left Boris, our surviving male. BRIGHT SIDE - Boris and Donald bonded almost immediately after the other 2 were killed. Donald finally had a friend. Yay! BAD NEWS: My boys are now chasing away all of the mallards, working together to separate the male and females, etc. We share this large pond with 10 other neighbors. Some have been complaining that the domestic ducks are chasing away the wildlife from our pond. In the past, I've seen Donald chase the mallards at the beginning of spring but then cohabitate with them and hang out with them throughout the summer. But NOW that he has Boris (and yes, they are definitely both males), he seems more aggressive than ever.
Question: Do you think getting 2 or 3 females would, ummmm, occupy their time so that the mallards could come back? When we had the 2 males and female, they were stuck together like glue. The boys would chase the mallards if they got too close to our female, but they never strayed far from her side, so we always had plenty of mallards. I'm thinking these two boys would stay by their females, and not spend all their time concerned with the mallards. Please help! I don't want my neighbors upset anymore, yet I don't want Donald and Boris to be removed from their home. Thanks everyone!

If you do decide to go with some females for you 2 drake best get more than 1 each those drakes can be very rough on just one female and one of your boys may end up with out any if the one drake decide he wants both.
Now if they will chase off the other wild ducks that is hard to know until you try. If it came down to that you could always build a pen and nice safe house for your domestics till fall then let them have the pond fall through winter till the wild birds come back.

If you do decide to go with some females for you 2 drake best get more than 1 each those drakes can be very rough on just one female and one of your boys may end up with out any if the one drake decide he wants both.
Now if they will chase off the other wild ducks that is hard to know until you try. If it came down to that you could always build a pen and nice safe house for your domestics till fall then let them have the pond fall through winter till the wild birds come back.
Thank you! I was thinking about getting 3 females but maybe 4 would be better. I've considered penning them for a period of time during the day so the mallards have some time to themselves, and let them out for their playtime on the pond during certain times. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom