Help my red shoulder yokahama is not walking anymore.

Flaka

Chirping
Aug 23, 2023
Hi my red shoulder yokohama is not walking anymore and have no idea why. At first he started limping and was ok but now he just moves around without walking. His top left leg feels hard. He eats and drinks water fine. I have given him poultry cell. Does anybody know what it can be? I am worried what else can I give him? Or how can I make him walk?

How old is he? Do you have any pictures of the leg? Do you think that he might have injured it jumping down or by another rooster? Make sure that he can reach food and water. The vitamins are good for a few days, then you can switch to 1/4 tablet of human B complex daily.

Hi thanks for asking me these questions. He just turned 6 months. Here are a couple of pictures that I hope helps. I don't know because we have more and we separated him from them. Yes we have food and water by him because he is skinny. Thanks for the advice on the vitamins I will get them from Walmart. Do I just give him the 1/4 tablet in his water? Thank you so much and hope to hear more of what's going on with him.

Attachments

• 20230824_135915.jpg
    20230824_135915.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230824_135938.jpg
    20230824_135938.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230824_135920.jpg
    20230824_135920.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230824_135716.jpg
    20230824_135716.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 10
I would crush the tablet and give it in food, or if he won’t eat, give 1/4 tablet or close to that into his beak to swallow. Will he curl his toes around your finger if you touch his foot? Does the upper leg still feel hard, or is it swollen or green (bruised?) Are you familiar with Mareks disease? Hopefully it is not that, but an injury or vitamin deficiency. Usually that would affect both legs, but the vitamins can still help. A chicken sling chair might be something that you might want to try making, if he will stay in it for periods throughout the day. Let him sleep and rest out of the sling, but it can help if you put food and water in front of him. Here are some examples especially posts 5, 11, 12, 13:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I would crush the tablet and give it in food, or if he won’t eat, give 1/4 tablet or close to that into his beak to swallow. Will he curl his toes around your finger if you touch his foot? Does the upper leg still feel hard, or is it swollen or green (bruised?) Are you familiar with Mareks disease? Hopefully it is not that, but an injury or vitamin deficiency. Usually that would affect both legs, but the vitamins can still help. A chicken sling chair might be something that you might want to try making, if he will stay in it for periods throughout the day. Let him sleep and rest out of the sling, but it can help if you put food and water in front of him. Here are some examples especially posts 5, 11, 12, 13:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Hi well here is another picture of his leg which this looks a little green there he won't curl his toes on my fingers. Yesterday he tried to walk. I have seen and read a little bit on marecks disease but I'm hoping it's not that either. It is still hard on the left leg. He seems more like he will fight for his food like if another chicken is around he will peck it.

Attachments

• 20230824_172119.jpg
    20230824_172119.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 11
Good advice from @Eggcessive I'd follow her recommendations and get the vitamins into him.

To me, it looks like some bruising, so hopefully he'll be able to recover.

What are you feeding him? I'd feed him chick starter and an all flock feed that is 18-20% protein.

Yea, that does look like bruising. Actually that is good, since he could recover eventually, so hopefully, it isn’t Mareks. Upper leg injuries in roosters are a little harder to recover from. The hard area might be a fracture or displacement of the bone. Let us know how he gets along.

Good advice from @Eggcessive I'd follow her recommendations and get the vitamins into him.

To me, it looks like some bruising, so hopefully he'll be able to recover.

What are you feeding him? I'd feed him chick starter and an all flock feed that is 18-20% protein.
Hi thank you I will give him the human vitamins once I buy them. We give him 20% chick starter. I really appreciate it I am new with all this with chickens and we have 43 chickens which include roosters and diffrent races. They all are different and we have fun taking care of them and we worry when they aren't themselves. So thank you so much for your advice.

Yea, that does look like bruising. Actually that is good, since he could recover eventually, so hopefully, it isn’t Mareks. Upper leg injuries in roosters are a little harder to recover from. The hard area might be a fracture or displacement of the bone. Let us know how he gets along.
Hi thank you so much for the advice. Yeah keeping our hopes up there like I said before he is eating and drinking his water. I will get him those vitamins. We have 43 chickens of different breeds and they are so fun but when they aren't themselves we worry. We already lost 2 all of a sudden it has been hard that they aren't with us anymore but they will always be here in our hearts. I really appreciate it your advice and yes I will keep you inform on how he is doing. To me each day he tries to get better he moves around a little. How can I help him like make that left leg move a little massaging it maybe? Thanks again.

Hi it's me again just to inform that he seems to be doing better each day. He tries to walk baby steps. So we are advancing. He is still eating more and more. I wanted to show you this picture where he is getting redder that's a good sign right I started giving him the human vitamin b also. His leg is still hard can I give him massage to see if it gets softer or just let him do his baby steps therapy so he can heal himself? Thanks again

Attachments

• 20230828_183150.jpg
    20230828_183150.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230828_183134.jpg
    20230828_183134.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom