HELP My Roo is sick

Yes, swelling is common...our roo had swollen eyes/face too, and our vet said that it is a symptom of Sinus infection. It sounds like he is on the mend, so maybe antibiotics won't be necessary. Good luck.

You might try to get him to eat some scrambled eggs and yogurt. The probiotics in the yogurt will help him offset the antibiotics' effect on his gut. Vitamins may also help when he is eating better. I hope you start to see some improvement. Do you have a county extension agent you can call about getting him tested? It helps to know what you are dealing with to get the right meds. If he has coryza, sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox) would be better for him.
I saw dramatic improvement this afternoon, DH came down to check on the bird while I slept and his exact words were "Dinner is gone." He somehow managed to get out of the box and outside and some of his fellow flock mates were hanging around with him and he was trying to get back to the coop. We brought him back in the house for another night to make sure he is eating and drinking propper. But I will try the scrambled eggs but I'll hold the yogurt off until the weekend so he gets a full run of antibiotics to kill whatever germs made him sick.

When I bring him back out withthe rest and put them all back on regular water I'll add the vitamin suppliment I have to it so they all get the benefits.

Unfortunately I cant find any numbers to call for my county only my state, it is a pain but im still in a learning curve and I am looking for a bird vet in my area, the nearest one I have found so far is 50 miles away.

Yes, swelling is common...our roo had swollen eyes/face too, and our vet said that it is a symptom of Sinus infection. It sounds like he is on the mend, so maybe antibiotics won't be necessary. Good luck.
He has been on oxytetracycline since Saturday and will be on it until this upcoming saturday, but he is definately on the mend, he is escaping from his box, a little unstable as far as walking around goes, but he is doing it, I just have to make sure he is eatting proper before introducing him back to the rest of the flock.

Many telephone books have county extention agents listed. Look at your oxy label- you may be able to treat him longer if you think he needs it. Glad he is missing his flock and anxious to get back.

Yeah my telephone book is about 30 pages thick >_>

The label says 5-14 days and he is still struggling with getting healthy so im gonna try tube feeding for a few days, just gotta get the supplies and hope it comes to less then the cash in my pocket

Back
Top Bottom