HELP My Roo is sick

Blaknite

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 20, 2013
Illinois
My boy, Dinner, a 21 week old white face black spanish, came down with something.

His beak is filled with, for lack of better term, snot, he stands/sits with his tail up in the air and his head down. He shifts around occassionally, his poops are very liquidy brightish limetoned yellow, with white solidish stuff, his earlobes and comb are warm to the touch like a kid with a fever.

I keep putting VetRX around his nose holes every 8ish hours and am trying to get him to drink some antibiotic liquid (http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/682674-bimeda-tetroxy-hca-280-antibotic.html#.UkgRnZIjJZ4) or eat something and he really isnt interested.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I love this bird and would hate to lose him

You may need to syringe feed him by pulling down on his wattles, putting a dropper into the side of the beak, and give him time to swallow after releasing the wattles. Other methods would be to moisten his feed with the medicine in liquid. Can you post a picture of his poop? E.coli infection can cause bright sulfur yellow poops. Does he have any facial swelling?

I imagine only a few drops at a time, he has not expressed any intrest in food since I brought him inside barely any intrest in the water that I have forced him to drink. But I have been persistant with the syringe I have and he has had about 1/4 cup of water in the last 12 hours I cant help but think he should be drinking more then that though.

What he usually looks like

So far the rest of my flock is fine, as a precaution i decided to put them on antibiotic water as well for the next week.

His poop really looks yellow. I think blackhead, usually found in turkeys can cause those bright yellow stools, as well as E.Coli infection. I worry that he is very sick. Do you have a good veterinarian that could see him? They could take a culture of his stool and send it off to a university agricultural school and test it for E.Coli.

Thanks he is looking a bit better, well more alert and mobile this evening, he is still not volentarily eating or drinking but I think I found a solution inspired by the feeding tube link

He is accepting his regular food pureed in the medicated water, he ate about a tablespoon off the tip of a spoon before he was not interested on the first attempt. I held it right at the tip of his beak and he basically nibbled it. I'm going to continue this until he is eating it on his own out of a small bowl I put in with him.

Fromm looking at his swollen eyes, I guess that he may have a sinus infection. One of our roos had an eye that swelled and the vet said sinus infection/respiratory infection and prescribed antibiotics. I think Tylan is supposed to be a good antibiotic that you can get w/o prescription. Good luck and hope that he gets better.

So my boy is still going, I have managed about 1/2 a cup of water and pureed food in water down him in the last 24 hours, I am sure its not enough but better then none at all.

This morning he has no balance and his head is tilted to one side, sort of like a child with an ear infection, his beak of goo is mostly cleared up and his face still is still swollen. Is this a common thing with sinus infection?

He has been more active in the last few hours then before, wandering around the box and amazingly keeping all his poop in one end of it
He is no longer sitting with his tail in the air, but rather more normally, with his head tilted to one side.
His earlobes and comb are no longer hot to the touch, still warmish but not super hot, usually they were cooler to the touch
He is also opening his eyes to sounds and looking around more often, and his tail is upright again

You might try to get him to eat some scrambled eggs and yogurt. The probiotics in the yogurt will help him offset the antibiotics' effect on his gut. Vitamins may also help when he is eating better. I hope you start to see some improvement. Do you have a county extension agent you can call about getting him tested? It helps to know what you are dealing with to get the right meds. If he has coryza, sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox) would be better for him.

Back
Top Bottom