Help! My Sweet Chicken is Sick

Rmerlin

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2015
I have a 2 year old hen (one of four) who seems to be sick. This is my first time having chickens and I'm at a loss. She was healthy, laying an egg daily, eating all of her food, etc. until she molted. She has not been laying at all since then (it's been months). About a week ago she started looking a bit listless and was sitting alone. We checked her vent and it looks like she has been having diarrhea. She's eating...but not as much as usual. She seems to be drinking. All of the other chickens seem to be fine...laying regularly and eating/drinking.

What to do? This is my granddaughter's favorite chicken. Help! And thanks.

Can you take her to the vet or take some of her poop to the vet for a fecal test?

Well here is what I would do:
Check her vent area and gently push on parts around the vent:
this is to feel an egg blocking her vent.
She may have a egg binding distress.
It would cause all her symptoms.

for feed and water do this
(1) in the water put 2 tsp. of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar Braggs or Heinz is sold at Walmart. Put this in the drinking water for all chickens.
Just for her use 3/4 tsp of the ACV per pint of drinking water
(2) feed her and the other chickens this
WET MASH PROBIOTIC.
(3) FOR THE SICK HEN AS YOU PROBABLY SEPERATED HER FROM REST OF HENS IN DOG CRATE IN GARAGE JUST FEED HER TWICE A DAY
3 TBSP OF WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE WITH THREE VITAMINS FOR A WEEK:

WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR CHICKENS WITH ANY HEALTH PROBLEMS
Glenda Heywood

WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR YOUR CHICKENS HEALTH.
ACV by Bragg's is sold by Amazon and at Walmart. (remember to get Bragg's as it has the "brown mother" in the bottom of the bottle.)

My Daughter JoAnna Mertz feeds this wet mash probiotic several times a week to our 10 hens, 5 buff orpingtons 5plymouth rocks, and they are eating it up in 30 minutes.

To make the WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE HERE IT IS
(A) TAKE 2 CUPS OF DRY CRUMBLES OR PELLETS,
(B) 1 TSP OF DRY FLAX SEED MEAL (THAT IS FOR HUMANS)
(C) PUT 4 CUPS OF MILK ANY KIND SOUR OR FRESH, 1 tbsp of dry flax seed meal,
(D) AND 2 TBSP OF THE UNPASTURIZED ACV.

(E) ALSO 1 /2 CUP OF UNFLAVORED YOUGART.

(F) MIX GOOD. PUT IT IN GLASS CONTAINER, AND KEEP ON THE COUNTER OVER NIGHT.

(G) IF IN THE MORNING YOU CAN ADD MORE MILK TO THE MIX TO MAKE IT SOLUBLE, like cookie dough, not soupy,

(H) DO NOT MAKE IT SOUPY AS CHICKENS DO NOT LIKE IT SOUPY.

(I) IF THE MIX IS OKAY IN THE MORNING AND NOT TOO DRY FEED IT IN THE GLASS CONTAINER SO ALL THE CHICKENS CAN GET TO IT.

(J I USED 2 VERY LARGE GLASS PIE PLATES. AND THEN CLEAN THE PIE PLATES BY BRING THEM BACK TO THE HOUSE.

(K) FEED THIS AMOUNT TO EACH CHICKEN 3 tbsp of mix when wet, so make your recipe to fit all amount of chickens to be fed

(L) WHEN MIXING FOR 1 CHICKEN DO THISIE: take 3 tbsp of dry feed and add 6 tbsp of milk, 1/4 tsp of dry flax seed meal, 1 tbsp of yougart plain kind, 1 tsp ACV,

(M) NOW IF THE CHICKEN IS SICK ADD THIS TO THE WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE

(N) 1 Vit E capsule buy cutting end of capsule off and squeezing it into the wet mix.
(O) 1-Vit B tablet crushed in table spoon and add a little water to disolve crushed tablet and then add to wet mash

(P) 1- Selenium tablet crushed in tbsp and add little water to it and then add to wwet mash.
(Q) now mx good and feed sick chuicken evey day for 7 days

(R) now feed it 5 times for second week.

(S) then 2 times a week for life

(T) feed all healthy chickens 2 times a week for life WITH VITAMINS ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS

IF FEEDING CHICKENS ANY MEDICATIONS NOTE THIS.

(1) A NOTE HERE IS ABOUT WHEN CHICKENS HAVE COCCIDIOSIS YOU HAVE TO WAIT TILL THEY ARE OFF THE MEDICATION AT THE END OF 7 DAYS TO GIVE THE VITAMIS BECAUSE OF THIS FACT:
(2) IE::
Amprolium interferes with the coccidia oocyst’s ability to metabolise vitamin B so you may need to provide your chickens with a vitamin B supplement following treatment – but don’t give them this during treatment as you might render it ineffective.

Does she have bloody or wormy stools? Is she making strange noises? What about her eyes? Are they foamy or bright and sharp? Either way, I would separate her. And like Glenda said, definitely check for signs of an egg issue.

Back
Top Bottom