help my turkey hen has picked her back almost raw what should we do

dmanturkey

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 9, 2012
My hen who was spared from the dinner table last year, by my husbands pardon is now picking her feathers on her back until it is raw in spots. I do not think she is bored she shares a very larger aviary with some hens, two roosters and 3 pheasants. She is still laying her 1 huge egg a day. I also noticed she is now limping a bit. I have thought about putting a cone on her like you do for dogs etc... Any other ideas?? She is about 2 years old. Her wing feathers cover up the back side but then she lifts them up and you can see the damage she has done. She has been eating mostly chicken feed and cracked corn, plus some veggies, inscests etc...

My guess is she may have fleas - like a dog that gets hot-spots also check for mites or lice. Neosporin can be used on wounds. Good Luck - better get her healed up before her pardon is retracted.
droolin.gif
lol

We made a saddle for her and put it on, then we did put some ointment on the worst spot. We didn't see any fleas or mites/lice but I didn't take a microscope out to her. I think if I can find her a male she may be happier. lol

That was the first thing that came to my mind was some sort of parasites and also the saddle idea both that and getting some other Turkeys to be with they are very social birds.
we are going to have to do the same thing with our chickens they have had there feathers rubbed off due to the over sexed Rooster.
I found a good design for one here.

Back
Top Bottom