!!!help!!!! Naked neck chick pecking feet and limping, bumblefoot?

Pics

Casastash

Songster
Nov 27, 2017
Argyle, Manitoba Canada
ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Of course THE FIRST chick we bring home EVER is limping! Upon inspection of her feet it looks to have sores and possibly a blister? Wondering if this could be a result of pecking or bumblefoot starting???

Help me chicken gurus

She is eating and drinking great and warm. Poop is a tad yellow this am after we me fussing with her but all stool in her cage were normal

We got her from a very young lady who had to take her out of they’re bantam flock because she was being picked on.

A839112A-1A92-480F-8F7E-E38F1C7A05A7.jpeg

86CF54C8-6A0E-47F0-9D77-675398E41490.jpeg
F203C6F0-1F80-449D-BCED-DC134CC8910E.jpeg

First foot pic is affected foot second is the primary weight bearing foot.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

47C200F7-4BDE-45BB-9C51-0B411CA639D5.jpeg

7F52903D-DD99-4FC5-940D-570C2A67CFD5.jpeg
FEA14999-A3DD-477F-8C43-CB2D6A23B9E5.jpeg

8F3825A1-ED32-476D-A83E-752E40A0F070.jpeg

Oh my gosh this poor little thing!!!!! Washed her feet and they are so much worse than I imagined. Bumblefoot I think for sure but her toes look like frost bite? We live in a very cold climate so I’m not sure.... any advice??? Is it too late for this little girl?

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

That does look very painful. :(

Also maybe scaly leg mites and like you mention looks like frost bite.

I can't imagine the deplorable conditions or lack of understanding that person must have had. :rant Cold weather or not, there's no excuse to let a bird get that bad.

I would get her some nutrition! Look at the keel bone all bald. DO you how old she is? Some vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics would be in quick order. In addition to that, I guess it's good that you don't have any other birds to be exposed to her otherwise quarantine would be highly recommended. Unfortunately chickens are VERY social creatures so she may get lonely or even depressed without a friend. I might consider finding out if she had a friend at her old place that could come with her.

Bless her heart, lucky she found you! :fl

I just saw that you say it is NN.. that could explain some of the diminished feathering. Is it a Turken? Those have been very hardy in my experience and not at all push overs among a flock. Of course I know though, that all are individuals and anything is possible.

If it is Turken, they are also supposed to be very cold hardy despite their nakedness. The guy who processes our meat said they had an extra think layer of fat around the necks and rumps.

Since this is you first chicken, do you know what to feed?

Nutrition and electrolytes
Definitely. Canned Salmon and scrambled eggs are good for immediate protein.

I'd get started soaking her feet daily in warm water with a good dose of Epsom salts and provodine liquid (to the color of iced tea) OR hibicleans.

Or soak with Epsom salts followed by clear iodine to the wounds and try your best to keep her in a clean area or you'll have to bandage for protection.

Bumblefoot is nasty and the surgery (at home) requires a lot of followup but I wouldn't suspect that "she's a goner", just that you'll have to devote a good bit of time, energy and patience dealing with it.
Dealing with leg mites is far less time consuming.

I have an existing healthy flock (knock on wood!) but I got them as pullets! This is the first *chick* I have ever had. I don’t know how old she is but my guess is very young!

The barn they were kept in was old but I didn’t see the living conditions of the birds. They did say she was picked on and when they found her she was cold in the corner shivering.

We don’t have any other chicks to put her with but I do have her inside in a rabbit cage with a little hay cave, a towel, chick starter and water bowl.... in my bedroom

I obviously have a very tolerant husband!

I will look up the leg mites but after looking up frost bite posts the blisters she has look similar. Is epsome salt baths and honey salve a good way to go?

Could you give a guesstimate on her age or provide a pic of her whole body ?
So many people on here would be happy to help you get that part figured out.

ACA889B9-9504-40FA-AC4F-ADBB0CD5CDF6.jpeg

This is her current set up.

Feet are blue ish her comb is very pale!!! She is going crazy for eggs.

Any idea on age or is that hard to tell from a pic?

Is it safe to use the packages electrolytes and vitamins on chicks? If so I will go out and get some!

Attachments

• 1682D43F-1898-4839-938B-A101477B2435.jpeg
    1682D43F-1898-4839-938B-A101477B2435.jpeg
    605.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 2E8BCFB7-DEFC-4A4D-9308-A869A3475F19.jpeg
    2E8BCFB7-DEFC-4A4D-9308-A869A3475F19.jpeg
    604.4 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom