help need advice chicken with leg problem

lisajmuir

Chirping
Jul 30, 2015
So we have a chicken thats been with us since hatching so is very tame and my daughters favourite girl. her name is "eggy" ....10 days ago I noticed her limping badly. I figured she had jumped off the perch and hurt her leg. shes a chicken with the big hairdo. polish.... so is a bit blind. anyways I checked her leg for everything I could think of... bumblefoot, a break, strain etc. took her to our vet who gave her a good exam. he gave me anti flam to give her for 3 days. no change. she actually was sitting more than trying to walk. eating drinking poop normal. vet then started her on ant bios the cycline ones. 3 days still the same. she wont weight bear on it at all. so back to the vet for an xray to see if we have a break. nothing! the vets now thinking nurological problem. but bottom line "he doesnt know". so decided to see if anyone else has had this problem? and what did you do.? I am giving vits everyday in the beak. been wormed. noticed she cant splay her foot out naturally to stand.... maybe should make her a duck type foot like a brace? any advice welcome..... she has no other symptoms basically very healthy.
Image may contain: one or more people

Can you post a picture of how she lays and do her toes curl under on her bad foot? I really hope that she doesn’t have Mareks disease, but that can be something possible at her age. What is your location? Do you know other people with chickens? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? If she has an injury or sprain, it can take weeks to get better.

she keeps her leg under her not sticking out to the side. the toes are not curled. her leg feels very hot so thats why I am thinking tendon or ligament. when she stands she holds it up with sometimes will push it forwards but noticed she does that when shes trying to balance herself. I have upped her mixed vits and added xtra vit A . shes had a dose of anti inflam and still gets tetracycline anti bio.... so we will see . vet doesnt think its mareks.

Back
Top Bottom