Help,..Need immediate advice for dog attacked chicken!

meeladychicken

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
We have a chicken attacked by our terrior. She has very little feathers on neck and red raw skin exposed. No deep gashes but just alot of exposed flesh. Just rinsed with iodine solution and have her inside and in a towel. She is calm...almost lifeless and trance like. Dont know if she is dying or in shock or what to do...this is sad. Help! She is a layer

Chickens are very hardy birds. I'd say she's in shock. Is there any blood? I've seen chickens on here with holes pecked all the way to their skull and survive. :) So stay hopeful. I'd say just isolate her in her own little area possibly a dog cage or pet arrier covered with a blanket. Animals feel safer in low lit places. If there's any wounds that stopped bleeding i'd put some neosporin on it. For wounds that won't stop bleeding maybe put flour or corn starch on it.

Thank you for the response. We have her now in a dog crate with fresh straw and a clean towel. She is in a quiet and warm room of our house. We were able to get a little fluid into her and she is still subdued with her eyes closed and head slumped over. I have some pictures I will upload as soon as I get my phone charged. Her wounds are not bloody. Just looks like "raw chicken" . Almost scalped in a way. There are areas where her skin is still attached but the feathers are gone, and other areas where even that fatty skin layer is gone and just pink flesh. When her neck is up straight it is frightening as you can really see that all the feathers are gone on the back of her neck and it is just red flesh. I feel so bad . :-( .This is her just a few days ago. Her sister was killed today . Looks like it was a quick neck snap.

I would just make sure her wounds are clean and just let her be. I think that if she is left alone for a long period it would do her good. I think she should heal okay.

Here is a view from above. Basically everything visible is without skin or feather. There are other areas where some skin flaps are still there but featherless. Wing bone is not broken but exposed

start her on a antibiotic like gallimycine to try to prevent infection and speed healing. keep wound clean. keep her warm and comfortable as she is likely in shock.best of luck. so sorry this happened!

start her on a antibiotic like gallimycine to try to prevent infection and speed healing. keep wound clean. keep her warm and comfortable as she is likely in shock.best of luck. so sorry this happened!

Thanks. She is warm and safe. I washed wounds with iodine this afternoon . I feel like I should wait until morning to wash them again...I dont want to disturb her now. Do you think i should cover them? I have a light dish linen draped over her back just so it isnt so exposed.

She survived the night. She is drinking some water by the spoon and is still very quiet and not in any distress. I am not sure if I should try to clean her wounds again. I do not want to stress her,

DO NOT USE THE IODINE!!!!! It's TOO harsh. If anything, rinse injured areas with warm water & a VERY weak solution of Epsom Salts. This is what my vet told me to do with one of my girls that was attacked by a dog. Keep her warm & quiet. Sorry to hear about your girl.

What happened to the dog? Make sure it NEVER gets a chance to get NEAR your chickens again.

Back
Top Bottom