Help! Need to upgrade and upsize my waterer. Which one is the best?

BoCRon

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2012
Cherry Log, GA
My chicks are growing and the temps are rising so my small waterer isn’t cutting it. I want to upgrade as I hate the vacuum style waterers. I’ve never used the nipple or cup style so have no idea how to switch or how difficult it is. Which of these two styles is the easiest to train to and use?
9E99DA23-3DE3-46BF-828A-F997CE768D07.jpeg

3A9FD7E1-9A2B-4EE2-B372-63397642CA89.jpeg

I think I have dumb chickens....I’ve been trying to get them to use the watering cups...just not getting the concept. I read somewhere to be sure to keep another water source available until you are sure they are using the new system so they do not get dehydrated. Good luck

I have been using horizontal nipples for years. The secret to getting them to use the nipples is to remove all other source of water. With several different groups of chickens they have never taken more than a couple hours to figure out those nipples give them water. Chickens are naturally curious. They are attracted to the color red as well as the shiny metal. At first they will have no idea what those things are but they will want to find out. Eventually one gets the courage to peck the nipple and then run. When nothing bad happens they will peck again. Once one figures out the nipples give water they will all figure it out as they will copy the others. If you keep other water available they will never learn to use the nipples as the nipples take a little more work to get a drink.

I have never used the cups. I prefer nipples as the water is always clean.

Vertical nipples are the easiest to use, but more prone to freezing (if you get freezing temps where you're at) and dripping, so they should be placed outside or have some sort of catching tray to catch any drips if inside the coop.

Horizontal nipples are less drippy and easier to keep thawed in winter, but chickens don't really prefer them as much.

I don't have experience with cup drinkers.

Even after they get used to whatever style of waterer you chose, during hot weather you might want to add pans or water to ensure they get plenty of hydration on hot days.

My chicks are growing and the temps are rising so my small waterer isn’t cutting it. I want to upgrade as I hate the vacuum style waterers. I’ve never used the nipple or cup style so have no idea how to switch or how difficult it is. Which of these two styles is the easiest to train to and use? View attachment 2174112
View attachment 2174113
I use the first one w/the nipples. My young chicks figured it out in several minutes. I watched to make sure they all could do it. I love it, they are happy. It stays clean, and easy to fill/clean!

I've been using horizontal nipples for 3 + years. I very happy with them and my chickens get plenty of water from them. I don't add any other containers of water during the summer. I use two 14 gallon drums, that I top off once a week. When I go away for a week, I know they will have plenty of clean water.

I've never used either of the two you posted, because I don't care for them. I couldn't leave my chickens for a week at a time with confidence that they would have any water left or clean water. The vertical nipples can/will dip and the cups will get debris in them. If that's not a concern, then you could try either of them. One other thing to mention, both of these will freeze in the colder months, even if a heat source is added to the container. If you use horizontal nipples with a non floating stock tank deicer, you won't have a problem. I'll put a link below for my article on making one.

If you take the other water sources away and only have the nipples they will catch on quicker. If you use the cups, I think it's a bigger learning curve for them, from what I have read on here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/

14 gallon waterer.jpg

I think I have dumb chickens....I’ve been trying to get them to use the watering cups...just not getting the concept. I read somewhere to be sure to keep another water source available until you are sure they are using the new system so they do not get dehydrated. Good luck
This is oposite of my advice. Remove old waterer or they wont use new one. Peck the new waterer with their beaks to show them how to use it and ignore your chicks/chickens for 24 hours to avoid stress of not seeing them use it. They will.

I’m jealous of those of you who can leave your waterer alone for a week! I have to scrub mine every other day. The algae would take over otherwise. I’m looking into making my own as that seems to be a good option and not too difficult I hope.

I’m jealous of those of you who can leave your waterer alone for a week! I have to scrub mine every other day. The algae would take over otherwise. I’m looking into making my own as that seems to be a good option and not too difficult I hope.

blue 5 gallon Lowe’s bucket with horizontal nipples. Change water every 7-10 days, no algae.

Love horizontal nipples. In the run I have a 5 gallon bucket outside. I have it piped into the run and the nipples in a 1 inch pvc pipe. It comes out the coop and is piped back into the bucket with an aquarium pump to keep the water moving. Didn't freeze last winter like this and I haven't noticed any growth in the water. I do have a drain in the bucket but aint used it.

Next step is to pipe it all into a 55 gallon drum that catches rain off my shop. Hopefully it'll be a totally hands off watering setup.

I do have a smaller 3 gallon bucket with just 5 horizontal nipples in the side. If it's too hot I'll freeze a milk jug of water and put in it so the girls can have cold water. It started out life in my coon's cage but they would rather play with ice cubes to stay cool.

Back
Top Bottom