Help needed, Baby Owl Found.

texascowboy1979

Songster
10 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Texas - Best Place on Earth
I need some info on feeding a baby Owl.

Here is the story,

There is an owl nest on the Rafters of My roof on the porch. The nest has been there for years. about 9pm, I heard some nosie and went to check, I notice the nest was on my porch on the ground. Not in the rafters in the roof... some how the nest fell on the ground.. No parent anywhere, and it is not like I can put the baby back in the nest cause the nest was distroyed. The baby did not fall out or try to fly, as you can see in the pictures, its not even ready to fledge... Im thinking Rats pushed the nest out of its location and the fall killed one of the babies. 1 of the babys is still alive. The baby is fuzzy white, eyes are still shut. What and how do I feed it? Im assuming meat... and Im think of getting frozen mice and cutting it up in small peices and feeding it to him.. Provided he survives the night. Its 9pm... and the petstore opens tomorrow at 9am... Ive searched online... but all I find are info on chicks that are already aware of there surroundings and fledging... this is still a hatchling... Again... This nest was not built on the ground.

Please help... id hate for it to die.

owl01.jpg

owl02.jpg

owl03.jpg

owl04.jpg

Last edited:
Firstly, its nice that you're trying to do something nice, but it is ILLEGAL! Call the local DNR or wildlife sanctuary ASAP, and give it over to them. they know what to do, as well as make sure the owl doesn't imprint on ppl and is releasable. Keep it warm until then. Do you know what kind of owl?

all right, you definetly want to get that to a rehabber. for now, those birds need to eat often. VERY often. try at least once every hour or two. try to get it some bits of meat (poultry or fish is the closest to what Mom would feed it in the wild. you'll have to get up every couple of hours tonight
hmm.png
i'd also soak the meat in water before you feed the owlet so it doesn't become dehydrated. i don't know a whole lot beyond that, hopefully someone with a bit more experience will come along. good luck!

AY AY AY YAI! you should have left it! if it was on the ground it must have blonged to a short eared owl! they nest on the ground! you should give it to a rehabber (unless you have a General Falconers permit) they will know what to do

next time you see a nest on the ground, leave it alone, the parents must be hunting or something.

Definitely call a licensed rehabber. There are online lists by state. The good news is there are far more rehab folks focused on raptors than anything else, so you should be able to find one nearby.

Keep it warm, keep it hydrated and GOOD LUCK!

Ms.Frizzle :

Firstly, its nice that you're trying to do something nice, but it is ILLEGAL! Call the local DNR or wildlife sanctuary ASAP, and give it over to them. they know what to do, as well as make sure the owl doesn't imprint on ppl and is releasable. Keep it warm until then. Do you know what kind of owl?

10:30 on a Sunday evening, Memorial Day weekend? It's going to be difficult at best to get a response. Do make the calls and leave messages if you can, so the Feds will know you are making the effort.

Ideally, putting the nest back up would be the best thing. Failing that, do lots of online research and try some of the following.

Definitely keep it warmish and in a dark quiet area. Try to feed chopped bugs, mealworms, ground beef, canned cat food. Not ideal, but all things you may have around. Add a bit of water to make a mush and hydrate. Not just straight water though. Use a straw, blunted toothpick or skewer to give it the food.

Do make the calls and leave messages if no one answers. It will CYA, since it is a Federal fine. Best of luck.​

Thanks for the info..

Actually, the Owl nest is supposed to be in the Rafters of the roof... Its been there for years, but this after noon, the nest fell out of the rafters and fell on the ground, on my concrete porch. So I know the nest does not belong there.

Ill call a rehaber in the morning, provided the baby survives.

Thanks.

What Ranchie said...
Keep it warm..and try high quality canned cat food. (because its high protein) ...until you canget ahold of a wildlife rehabber...

I was just thinking about the memorial day thing while I was Googleing sanctuaries. Try looking for private numbers, even if you can't get a hold of the organization, don't stop until you get someone to tell you what to do. Guess I'm one to talk about it being illegal... There were some Kestrels that got washed out of their nests in our trees, one couldn't fly. I guess my dad fed it raw hamburger for a few days until it could. Word of warning, it projectile pooped.

I'd say biggest concern is keeping it hydrated; you can live longer w/o food then water. Prolly make sure it is luke-warm so it doesn't lower the body temperature.

Quote:
Call tonight, shows good intentions for when/if USF & W wants to ask you about it.

Back
Top Bottom