Help Needed - BYC Breed Pages Cleanup

No one wants BYC to be a SQ vs Hatchery. Sadly, the hatcheries decades ago left the Standard and started producing just for profit. Some have attempted to get back on track. Perhaps if each breed page would show the ideal for a breed (SQ) and also show a photo of a hatchery type it would help.

I didn't go through and look ( I have to hurry
lol.png
) but there were several duplicates on the plymouth rocks
hmm.png
. I counted and there were 10 !! duplicates . I think the second is the best. It has a breed history and the info is the most accurate.
smile.png
Here is the link : https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/plymouth_rock/8269 . having all of the other pages is just too confusing. There is also a bantam included with the large fowl. i think bantam chickens should have their own breed thread. I'll be looking later today also. But those are just some I saw off hand.
big_smile.png

as for all the show verse hatchery quality thing. Now this is just my opinion...you know what they say, everyone has one... HAHA
But for a BREEDS PAGE info link on a site as huge as BYC...I feel The actual Standard of perfection should be followed. and just leave out the hatchery stuff

Why?

Because the Standard is what the breed is supposed to look like that's why.
New comers looking threw this may otherwise get the wrong impression for a breed if it's poorly represented, and lets face facts, new comers are going to be the ones mainly using this so they can learn about the various breeds.

Color wise, any color may be listed, as long as they are true to the color and of correct type for the breed. Just list the colors recognised in the standard is all. Like in my case with d'anvers there are only 9 in the APA and 14 ABA, yet I have 30. They are all 100% correct to type d'anvers, therefore the represent the breed, just be sure notes are made that they arent a standard color..

No disrespect intended for hatchery folks, if that's what you want, there's not a thing in the world wrong with that.
But this should be a proper, informative list, showing and detailing the breeds in at least it's proper type so those interested in gaining info from a breed can leave better informed and knowing what to and not to look for in their ventures.

In other words, I have seen many single combed, 4 toed, red combed , white skinned silkies from hatchery lines... would this be proper to show as an example of the breed for new comers looking to learn about them...Why no.... That's what I am meaning here.

Anyway, that's just my opinion on the subject. Stick with the standard, leave the hatchery stuff out. This is meant to be an educational tool for the breeds in their proper form. If you want lower end hatchery birds, like I said, there's not a thing in the world wrong with it. But I feel something like this should be based in a true educational sense, and represent the breeds properly

Quote:
I will have to totally disagree. You can actually get some good stuff from the hatcheries. JMO.
..................I will leave the rest of my thought out on total breeders taking over BYC is just not right .

Back
Top Bottom