Help needed. New chickens not going into new coop at night. Airlifting 36 chickens is exhausting!

Is there hardware cloth on the windows or just window screen?
If you add hardware cloth it is possible to keep windows open at night.

I don't think you have nearly enough roost space for that number of birds.

I would also suggest (strongly encourage) keeping 1 to 2 roosters per flock. A 50/50 ratio is way to many males.

Is there hardware cloth on the windows or just window screen?
If you add hardware cloth it is possible to keep windows open at night.

I don't think you have nearly enough roost space for that number of birds.

I would also suggest (strongly encourage) keeping 1 to 2 roosters per flock. A 50/50 ratio is way to many males.
Right now there is no hardware cloth. I am concerned I need something stronger than that for the black bears. They have actually broken through people's windows around here, which seems crazy. So I was thinking of getting actual window bars or having them fabricated. I would still need the hardware cloth though, as fisher and mink would get through the bars easily. So it is still a work in progress for sure. I have one screen you can see on the big window, but that is to prevent the chickens from flying into the window and getting hurt. It's on the inside. Sadly I think a bear could push right through that too.

You can't tell from the angle of the pics, but right now there is about 1.5 foot per bird of roost space. There are roosts behind the ones you can see in the pic. I can always add more though.

When they are all in the coop they seem to have a ton of space. I definitely may need to separate out the roos and will have to see how that goes. They may get their own rooster coop.

Right now there is no hardware cloth. I am concerned I need something stronger than that for the black bears. They have actually broken through people's windows around here, which seems crazy. So I was thinking of getting actual window bars or having them fabricated. I would still need the hardware cloth though, as fisher and mink would get through the bars easily. So it is still a work in progress for sure. I have one screen you can see on the big window, but that is to prevent the chickens from flying into the window and getting hurt. It's on the inside. Sadly I think a bear could push right through that too.

You can't tell from the angle of the pics, but right now there is about 1.5 foot per bird of roost space. There are roosts behind the ones you can see in the pic. I can always add more though.

When they are all in the coop they seem to have a ton of space. I definitely may need to separate out the roos and will have to see how that goes. They may get their own rooster coop.

The folks in the mountains here that deal with bears around use hot wire on strong chargers. 😳
It's crazy to see the videos of bears opening car doors.

The folks in the mountains here that deal with bears around use hot wire on strong chargers. 😳
It's crazy to see the videos of bears opening car doors.
I like that idea and have thought about it! My only issue is that I move the coops and fencing too often and don't think I would keep up with adjusting the electric in addition to all the other tasks. That's definitely a good option though and probably the best bet to keep them away!

I think you may be on to something! I have plenty of ventilation in the coop (two gable vents, plus soffit vents around the roof edges), but it has been hot recently, and I do notice them open mouth breathing a bit. My coop is a salt box with a high roof, but it still gets a bit warm, almost like an attic would. I think I will try a window fan for them. ..,
Awesome style!!!
You might consider a ridge vent. Especially since you already have the eave vents (the hard part). You can add it to your existing roof - as in, you don't need to redo the framing or deck or shingles except the cap shingles. They are barely visible, so your coop will still look amazing

A ridge vent will move a LOT of air, specifically the highest air. It completely gets rid of that attic air pocket thing.

If you get a window fan, look for one rated for barns. They will be sealed so that the dust doesn't gum up the working parts and/or start a fire.

Awesome style!!!
You might consider a ridge vent. Especially since you already have the eave vents (the hard part). You can add it to your existing roof - as in, you don't need to redo the framing or deck or shingles except the cap shingles. They are barely visible, so your coop will still look amazing

A ridge vent will move a LOT of air, specifically the highest air. It completely gets rid of that attic air pocket thing.

If you get a window fan, look for one rated for barns. They will be sealed so that the dust doesn't gum up the working parts and/or start a fire.
Thank you so much, and great point on the fan! I was going to throw an old window one in, but with all the dust, probably not the best idea. I'll check out the barn fans and get one of those. : )

I like the additional vent idea. I have never installed a ridge vent (this is only the third thing I've ever built), but I will see if it can work with the cedar shingles. : )

Thank you so much, and great point on the fan! I was going to throw an old window one in, but with all the dust, probably not the best idea. I'll check out the barn fans and get one of those. : )

I like the additional vent idea. I have never installed a ridge vent (this is only the third thing I've ever built), but I will see if it can work with the cedar shingles. : )
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/project-guides/roofing/venting-a-wood-shingle-ridge

Says yes. Cut the top shingles back the amount recommended by the vent manufacturer. Instll vent. Cap with either cap shingles or ridge board... probably like whichever you currently have.

For 36 chickens, you're very low on ventilation as far as I can see, especially if windows aren't being left open. Ideally you'd want at least 1 sq ft of ventilation per chicken, mostly up high, but not sure how difficult it would be to hit that mark.

Against bears, electric is your best bet - can't really do much else since they can tear through wire and wood if they feel motivated.

I do see another issue (unrelated to chickens not going in) - your roosting ladder is far too steep. The lower roost is unusable as any chickens sitting there would get pooped on from above. Aim to place it at about a 45 degree angle away from the upper bar, like where the X is:
1626138651002.jpeg copy.jpg

That's a very nice sheshed chicken coop...but it's sorely lacking in chicken amendments.
Especially in the ventilation department.
Large(~12") roof overhangs are the best thing for year round ventilation protection.
protects open windows in summer and open soffits and gables in all year long.

How hot is it?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1626177268607.png

Trying to estimate the square footage.....cause it doesn't look 9x11 to me.
Counting floor squares puts it at closer to a 7 x 9.... best guess.

It's a bit over pooulated even if it is 9x11. I agree . The roost placement is not the most effective.

Do you add shavings or other bedding? Linoleum is slick stuff to be landing on for them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom