Help Needed - Newcastle\Salmonella Vaccine Side Effects (?) - Deformed Eggs

Caille

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
Hi everyone,

About a month ago I vaccinated my 2 years old female quail against salmonella and newcastle disease. Ever since, there's been a reduction in the number of eggs she lays (used to be each day) and they are deformed - soft shell, brown, the size of a fingernail. It's the first time I've ever seen her laying such eggs, and am worried it might have something to do with either of the vaccinations she's got (see picture). Apart from that she seems like her usual self, alert playful eating and drinking regularly. I make sure to provide her with layer's mixture alongside grit and cuttlefish bone. Have you ever experienced such a phenomeon? Your advise as to the cause and treament of it all will be appreciated!

From what I understand, Newcastle disease actually causes the symptoms that you are describing here about your eggs...poor quality, soft shells and be deformed.

Now, sometimes viral vaccinations are "live". I am no expert here, but sometimes when one is given a shot of a live virus, they can actually get all the symptoms of that virus for a spell. After which you become immune.

So give your birds time to run the vaccine thru their systems. Since they you say they all seem healthy, it will probably pass.

Good luck!

I KNOW OF NO VACINES FOR NEWCASTLES OR SALMONELLA FOR ANY QUAIL SPECES??

THEY DO NOT RESPOND TO ILLNESS LIKE OTHER POULTRY AND THEREFORE ARENT VACINATED, MOSTLY BECAUSE INSTEAD OF A VACINATION ITS MORE LIKE AN INNOCULATION TO GAMEBIRDS

Twocrows and JJ thanks for replying!

As of now, my quail still lays those brown, soft-shelled, tiny eggs which are really very unlike her regular eggs. She's a prolific egglayer and I hope she gets past this stage soon enough. If more information about possible causes can be given, I will appreciate that.

Regarding vaccinations, I have consulted an Avian Vet expert before I let him adminster the two vaccinations. He said that quails are not usually vaccinated but it is better to have than to leave the bird unprotected (there have been many Nestcatle outbreaks in my vicinity recently). Also, he suggested I vaccinated the quail against salmonella because I do eat the eggs. On any event, it's been a month since the vaccinations and apart from the eggs being so peculiar the quail is doing fine... I just hope the eggs are not a sign of an impending danger to her...

i also vaccinated by local chicken as am using then to incubate eggs now its been three days she has got a wiered sound when breathing can this be one of the side effects of usin new castle vaccine( B1 Type, LaSota Straini also vaccinated by local chicken as am using then to incubate eggs now its been three days she has got a wiered sound when breathing can this be one of the side effects of using new castle vaccine( B1 Type, LaSota Strain) or its an outbreak of some new desease,i tried isolating the mother chicken but besides the wiered sound while breathing she looks fine and healthy any advise guys?

Back
Top Bottom