help: options for egg binding in buff orp

mintyivyy1

Chirping
Oct 11, 2022
Hi all,

So confused, I thought I posted this last night, but I'll try again.

11 month old buff orpington hen, free choice grit, free choice oyster shell. Green Mountain organic later feed. one of 9 hens, 1 cockerel. mostly normal eggs up until this time, some mottling (see pic.) Otherwise the happiest chicken ever.

She had a stuck egg on Monday, removed by a poultry vet. blocked by a membrane. she was lethargic, but that's about it. Egg looked totally normal, solid, one weak spot on it.

Seemed to recover just fine, found a soft egg last night, pretty sure it was hers. Eating, drinking, behaving normally if a little tired.

Today she tried to lay for 1.5 hours, nothing came out. Taking her back to the vet, assuming another egg. I will do a warm epsom bath until then.

My big question: if they can't find the egg, does anyone proceed with surgery? Couldn't I do a full surgery and it would just happen again? any chance we do get this one removed and then it doesn't happen again? Would they do a full hystorectomy?

I'm really besides myself. I know they are just chickens to some folks on here, but to me they are beloved pets and I'm just trying to figure out a path forward if they can't get the egg out. Will she grow out of this?
unnamed (3).jpg
331949321_882093419671306_7921186640356619947_n.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried giving her calcium with vitamin D1 tablet daily while she is having trouble laying or having soft shells? That is what I would do. Eggs can sometimes be hard to lay if they are shell-less, and sometimes reverse peristalsis can cause an egg to go back up into the abdomen. Is she getting layer feed plus is crushed oyster shell available?

Have you tried giving her calcium with vitamin D1 tablet daily while she is having trouble laying or having soft shells? That is what I would do. Eggs can sometimes be hard to lay if they are shell-less, and sometimes reverse peristalsis can cause an egg to go back up into the abdomen. Is she getting layer feed plus is crushed oyster shell available?
Thank you, yes-- she is actually on prescription calcium gluconate form a vet. She also has FC oystershells and grit, and yes, layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom