HELP!!!!! NEEDING ADVICE AND HELP ON DUCK EGG INCUBATING 25-30??

I’m over the moon right now! I’m nervous, excited, gitty, and super anxious to meet this little baby!! I’m truly happy and very grateful he’s made it this far, and undoubtedly wouldn’t have made it this far if not for all you guys help!! Thank you so much for helping me help him get this far!

If it hasnt made an external pip by now, a tiny safety hole at this point won’t hurt anything. Just do it carefully and very small. Pinhole size
View attachment 1556029
I will have to disagree with you, just from past experience. The problem with poking a hole in an egg is that you A might hurt the bird by poking the bird, or B there is a small chance of you accidently rupturing a blood vessel in the egg. I did that to a chick after he had not pipped, and he died right in the egg in my hand. I also was very lucky when I did it to a chicken egg that was not pipped, and it started to bleed in the egg, I felt horrible, but he ended up making it. That's just my opinion from experience, I just think it is a risk not to take, because you might hurt the bird, but if the bird needs help getting out of its egg, he probably wont live to long. But my guess is many people have done it with great success.

Last edited:
YAY! SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Just SOOOOOOOOO glad you did not make a safety hole, I would not to it without experience, and I would not do it at all. plus if you would have made a safety hole you might have killed him on accident and that would be horrible. Now just sit on your hands and wait, I know it is hard not to help go sit down and think about something else. Go watch a movie go read a book, anything but open the incubator. Don't worry I have never had an egg pip and it did not hatch. One time an egg took 36 hours after pipping to hatch. Have a good hatch, and maybe in the morning he will be out of his egg!! :wee:D:D:D:D:D:D

I will have to disagree with you, just from past experience. The problem with poking a hole in an egg is that you A might hurt the bird by poking the bird, or B there is a small chance of you accidently rupturing a blood vessel in the egg. I did that to a chick after he had not pipped, and he died right in the egg in my hand. I also was very lucky when I did it to a chicken egg that was not pipped, and it started to bleed in the egg, I felt horrible, but he ended up making it. That's just my opinion from experience, I just think it is a risk not to take, because you might hurt the bird, but if the bird needs help getting out of its egg, he probably wont live to long. But my guess is many people have done it with great success.

Safety holes are to be made into the air cell, where there won’t be any blood vessels. Yes, accidentally poking the chick is possible, but candling first for proper placement of the hole, and being very careful, it is easy enough to do properly without hurting the chick. I’m sorry you had bad experience with it.

Hey!! Thank you so so much!! I was praying that I wouldn’t have to take drastic measure, mainly because this is all new to me! It’s just so mind blowing and ironic that I came back home having been gone almost 2 hours, (went to my friends duck pond to feed those sweet not so baby, baby’s!) and no progress was made and needless to say I was really freaking out (I haven’t had a smidge of my nails since taken this sweet egg home worse within the past couple days I might add) because I didn’t know if he was okay, or what to do not to do... I think you could probably relate. And ironically enough, as I stepped outside from candling him (very gently) I was freaking out typing what seemed 100 words per sec on here asking for help or guidance, to then have someone reply which then lead me inside to take a picture or video to show everyone so they could have a better idea of the situation only to then crack open one of the windows on top of the incubator (opening one of the two windows keep the heat and humidity in way better than opening the entire thing) to candle him and take a picture, only to see the most amazing, and right at the nic of time, B E A - utiful small crack in his egg... and I can’t tell you the amount of weight and stress released from my shoulders. Something so small, yet so very much important!! It’s almost like he knew to pip because if not this crazy lady could have killed me! I’m so beyond grateful and thankfully for not only him making it and making it this far, but also thrilled he did it on his own!!!

Sorry for the novel, but sheesh what can I say!

I do have a question, should I do anything to the heat or humidity?

Back
Top Bottom