HELP!! New chick questions!!

peepers

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Northern Ca
Hi,
I went to a reptile store and there was 50+ chicks who were cold and "peeping" like crazy. I was a bad girl and bought one. I got a heat lamp and food. She is in a 10 gallon tank, and has bunny hay as bedding. She is peeping like crazy, is it because she's alone? Should I get another?? Any advice helps,I plan on keeping her, if it is indeed a hen. Thanks
Kat

The do alot better when not alone. Till you can get another put a mirror or a stuffed animal to keep it company. By the way
welcome-byc.gif

Good luck with your chickens!

Yes! You must get another! Matter of fact go ahead and get 5, 8, 10 MORE! She could be peeping loudly because of this, especially from coming from a big group. I would go and get her some buddies, just a few if you can't have many. Check the heating too. If she is right under the heat lamp she is cold, if she is trying to move away from the heat she is too hot. Chicks more or less tell you what is wrong if you just watch their actions. Hope this helps you some.

Why on earth were they at a reptile store? I agree with Chickenboy8, company is very benificial. You don't have any zoning laws do you? We did and I spent last summer changing them!! And oh yes:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
alright maybe not 10,lol. but defintley a partner but when you do make sure its a chick and not a turkey i almost got one and that aint good cause they can't live together, but yea my chicks cry all the time without each other and i only have 2.

I hate to say it, but chicks at a reptile store? What do you think they might be there for? Perhaps as small food for larger reptiles? The store probably isnt going to put a lot of money into keeping them cozy, either. Just my thought as to why they're probably there.

Ya, I agree, Chicks at a reptile place means they are destine to see the inside of a snake.
hey if your going to get ONE chick shame on you.....they do best with a group of 20 or more.....(snicker snicker). But then that might just be my highly opinionated idea. but get it a buddy or three or more, (the more the better heat they maintain).

everyone raise a hand if you think she should get 5 or more birds........

YES i see several hands raised.......ya you in teh front, i only need one hand two is fine......
and yes you can always make more room for more birds.......

JAck

She certainly needs companions...like all of her brooder mates
big_smile.png

Seriously....get at least 2 more. Put a themometer in there under the lamp and check for 95 degrees. Lower or raise as needed. degree the temp by 5 degrees each week...95 for first week, 90 for second week and so on.

Did you get supplies and chick starter?

*raises hand to her getting five more*
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom