HELP!! New chick questions!!

ChelC that's terrible! Shame on your uncle for doing that. There is no need to take a kids pet and feed it to something else and certainly not right in front of the kid.
sad.png

Peepers- if at all possible when you put a floor in the dog house, raise it off the ground. This can be as simple as placing cinder blocks under the corners. That way your flooring won't rot out as fast and you won't have to worry about ants or other bugs making their home under there.

You know, not to encourage you to just get more chicks than code allows, but odds are you may have a rooster or two in the mix that you will have to find a home for later. So, if you wanted to get 6 chicks total you probably could.
smile.png

Quote:
They are probably ALL roosters, surplus, throw away, cheap roosters from a hatchery. Nice to save them but if you can't have a rooster what will you do when they start to crow. Might better go to the feed store and get a few pullets for your lonley one.

ChelC----Are you still in that corner??? Get up and get with it!!!!
lau.gif

Thanks so much for the laugh. I had to laugh silently because I have almost 80 chicks in the house right now, (40 are for a friend) and I knew if I laughed out loud they would get scared half to death.
hit.gif

I went back to the store today and got three more(4 total). I hope they are not all roosters
sad.png
If they are I'll find them a good home when they are older. I asked him if he knew the sex and breed. It was a straight run and they are Rhode Island Reds. Is there anyway to know the sex? I looked around the net to see if I could find a feed store to get some pullets, but we don't have any close, all over an hour away. If these are roosters, I will find them good homes and get some pullets. My camera is at work so I will get it tomorrow and post some pics for them. Thanks

I know a lady from BYC that bought 12 Straight Run RIR's and she says that 9 of them are roos. So you need to go ahead and find someone that will take them.

chickens are very social animals & need to have brothers/sisters to hang out with. On occasion one will be with the group but venture out on it's own when freeranged but they don't stay by themselves for long.
Just imagine being in an area & no other person to be seen....pretty lonely!

Jolyn... I am in Union City near Fremont. I found a feed store near me, that if all these chicks are roo's I will get chick from them. Lets just pray they are hen's
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom