Help! New neighbor suddenly hates chickens!

So I did the orange nylon deer fencing along the fence I have. But unfortunately the chickens found a way around the fencing by going towards the back of my property and going around the fencing and since I have 10 acres and can't fence all of it right now. Any other recommendations?
Unfortunately you might have to build them a chicken yard.

Unfortunately you might have to build them a chicken yard. We live in Alaska and there are too many predators to let them free range. We used a Shelter Logic for the cover and used fish netting for the yard. We put slabs of wood along the bottom over the net so nothing can get in. It actally works well. I plan on expanding and making them more yard without a cover.

Attachments

• Chicken Yard.jpg
    Chicken Yard.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 69
I will try that. Unfortunately I spent all my extra savings just to get the orange fencing. I am a substitute teacher in Arkansas, us so I won't be getting a paycheck for another month.
Can you use the orange fence to build them a run? It will keep them off of your neighbors lawn and to a small extent deter daytime predators. Unfortunately though it wouldn't difficult at all for a predator to rip or push through orange fence. Sometimes we just have to work with what we've got until we can find another solution. You can perhaps get a fake owl to move around the yard and put out metal pie pans because noise does make predators more skittish, but again, if they are hungry enough only a solid enclosure really works.

unfortunately the chickens roost in a 20+ foot tree so i cant catch them to clip their wings otherwise i would build them a better run. i have been only able to catch one and that is the one that already stays in the coop/dog pen that i use. the others are unfortunately semi wild, which is what the neighbor liked at first, since they do not have to be fed all the time since they forage almost year round. unfortunetly with the drought in my area, most of the small ponds and creeks dried up, which probably attracted the coyote.

Awwww sorry to hear this. After your neighbour takes your chickens you could get a house chicken...? I would looooove to have my silkie and my salmon faverolle in my house, but I have a very energetic dog. If you’re missing your chickens you could keep one as a pet? Feeding her veggie peels and sleeping beside you, that is ultimate chicken life!

Back
Top Bottom