Help! New neighbor suddenly hates chickens!

I agree if she doesn't want them in her yard, then that needs to be respected. I would also find a time to visit (when she's not upset about the chickens), and gently ask what changed her mind. Perhaps bring her some eggs. The pandemic is making everyone more stressed out and perhaps your chickens are her outlet. She may just need you to listen.

Do keep a written record of your conversations in case this escalates and you need to get help. Good luck.

So I have been living at my residence for just about a year now. I have owned the property for about 2 years. I have had chickens about that long and never had any complaints except if a rooster had escaped my property and went all the way down the road to a little old lady's house and it ate her flowers. I had to get rid of that rooster along with others anyways. So I had a new neighbor move in next to me, and she was happy that the chickens now are free range since she wanted them to eat ticks and how they ate left overs. Well ever since pandimic she started hating them. She isn't home that much, she takes care of elderly people who have demintia full-time. She said they are going on to her property and eating flowers. Even though she hasn't planted any flowers, she actually killed all of them with a mix of household chemicals. She also was happy to have them on the property which was why she bought it. What do I do. I pointed out that when she started feeding them they would go over there more, she would have to stop feeding them on her property.
If you can prove that she poisoned them I would file a complaint with Animal Control. I had a flock of Swedish Flower Hens that a neighbors dogs killed and could prove it. I sent them a bill for $1500 for the cost of raising, and loss of eggs for their lifetime. Amazingly, they sent me a check and their dogs never got out again.

I agree if she doesn't want them in her yard, then that needs to be respected. I would also find a time to visit (when she's not upset about the chickens), and gently ask what changed her mind. Perhaps bring her some eggs. The pandemic is making everyone more stressed out and perhaps your chickens are her outlet. She may just need you to listen.

Do keep a written record of your conversations in case this escalates and you need to get help. Good luck.
This is a great idea.

One time our neighbor started messing up our walking trails on some property that we mutually use that lies between our two houses. The property is owned by a guy who gave us both permission to walk there. Anyways, the neighbor started covering the trails with debris. I go and confront her and low and behold she things we road a fourwheeler through their field and tore up their land. We don't even own a fourwheeler so that cleared up that misunderstanding and they've since came to help me install an electric fence. Sometimes misunderstandings can be very simple!

If you can prove that she poisoned them I would file a complaint with Animal Control. I had a flock of Swedish Flower Hens that a neighbors dogs killed and could prove it. I sent them a bill for $1500 for the cost of raising, and loss of eggs for their lifetime. Amazingly, they sent me a check and their dogs never got out again.
She hasn't poisoned them yet. I am lucky with that. She did put something down at the fence that they have been getting out of. I did go with the recommendation of using orange deer fencing that nuthatch mentioned for now. I am having someone come and get it fixed hopefully Thursday if it doesn't rain. Maybe the weekend at the latest.

She hasn't killed them with a dog. She baited a raccoon. Which would be seen as just a random thing and since I didn't have it on camera I couldn't prove she was the one tossing food over there. Except I hadn't bought any of the food that was over there, and most of it rotten to the point where even the chickens wouldn't touch it, only raccoons and possums. She also magically started hating dogs to, and goats, which the other neighbors own or at planning to get.

Unfo
Can you fence the neighbor in? :oops:
Unfortunately two of the sides are fence but the corner has fallen in or destroyed by coyote. Just lost another hen. On the third side there is the public road that goes straight up to their front door and not allowed to block public roads from my understanding. And the last side is someone else bordering them and I dont have a chance to ask them if they would be willing to fence in that last side.

Back
Top Bottom