Help! New neighbor suddenly hates chickens!

Also for every one saying I have to keep them on my property, I do, I have put in brand new fencing and stuff. How is it my fault that she comes over feeds them, then leaves gate I have open for them to wander onto her property knowing they will escape at the first chance of freedom since she used to raise chickens. So it's not like they are just wandering. The area between me and her is fenced and the only way to get over there is through the gate. As for the posion/ herbicide/pesticides she sprayed it on my property, and she had planted flowers along the border fence of our property same as me because we agreed to it since it looked nice, then sprayed all of it in March/April when she was renting the property, so it was still in the previous person's name, so it can cause reasonable doubt on who sprayed it except she admitted to spraying at least a viniger/dawn dish soap combination she got off the internet and it killed her flowers and mine. That's why I don't get was up. She claims they are destroying her flowers except those flowers have been dead for months. When I politely talked l to her, after making sure gate was closed and chicken wasn'tout, asked again if the chickens have caused any problems other then the flowers and she says they are now getting on her porch. That is at least believe able. I am guessing that is probably why. They didn't poop up there. No messes that I saw. She also complianed about the dog that was destroying my property thinking is my dog but I had to explain to her it was a neighbors and I already personally took it to the pound since I didn't like the dog either. But she didn't understand why it's not my dog and why I couldn't control it. I ended up adopting the dog back to make it legally mine, since she was going to complain about the dog even if it wasn't there and he stays inside all day.
You have my sympathies! Keep your log and add some cameras that record sound as well. Ring is pretty good, but expensive and has to have an internet connection. Honestly, you may want to put up a normal fence, maybe 6’ or 7’ tall and have a combo lock or one of those that need two keys. A force field wouldn’t hurt :gig

Over the past few days, I have read this whole thread, and I have a possible solution !

Motion sensitive sprinklers along the fence line !!!

This, or something similar, could train your birds to stay away from the fence line, or guard any gates or openings in the fence.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3470F21DBD5AC9ACFDC53470F21DBD5A&&FORM=VDRVRV

Plus it will water your lawn, and if positioned properly, water your neighbor as well !!! :lau :mad: :celebrate

You can thank me later .....

Great idea! My neighbor put in just one of these in her front garden to keep out squirrels :)

To me chickens are the same as any other animal when it comes to trespassing...I would complain heartily if the neighbor's dog came onto my property and killed one of my precious ducks, so she has the right to complain if my chickens snuck into her property and ate her prize lilies.
Sorry for getting back so late. Yes. They are on a pen sorta. The problem I am having is she's coming over throwing open the gate and then going "oh no, the chickens are destroying my plants!!!" As a coyote is eating them and they are running for their lives since their own is now open for the coyote to get in there.

It IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to keep your chickens out of her yard.

Do that and I suspect that things will get much better. Bake her some zucchini bread and invite her over for a cold adult beverage and get to know her.

But keep your chickens out of her space!

Good luck!
As I have mentioned before. They are in a small pen since I don't have a run set up for them. My problem is that she comes over, those open the gate, and goes "oh no, the chickens are Killing my plants" as they are getting eaten usually by a coyote or a racoon and I can't get them back as ... Shocker... They are running away from anything trying to get them, including humans.

If you can prove that she poisoned them I would file a complaint with Animal Control. I had a flock of Swedish Flower Hens that a neighbors dogs killed and could prove it. I sent them a bill for $1500 for the cost of raising, and loss of eggs for their lifetime. Amazingly, they sent me a check and their dogs never got out again.
She isn't killing the chickens, she killed her plants by basically nuking them with whatever kinda chemicals she has and is blaming black as night, nuked apocalypse looking plants on chickens.

Keep your chickens on your property.
Not sure if your still reading thread. Tried and failing since she keeps opening gates on my property that I put up a while back to keep chickens in and coyotes out. so chickens come out of coop and go over there, coyote goes in to eat chickens. The coyotes are even killed her cat, and she tried to blame that on a bear.

Last edited:
Be clear, with yourself and your neighbor. That means recognizing that your statement that she bought the place because she liked your chickens on her property is likely a huge exaggeration. Nobody makes an investment like that for the neighbor's chickens.
It also means recognizing that even of she began excited about the birds, she is well within her rights to change her mind as the impact of your flock takes its toll on her property.
You say chemical spray killed the flowers, she says the chickens; either way, it is her property and she gets to decide if the chickens are allowed or not (plus, if you know she is spraying chemicals, WHY would you let your birds go over there?!).
Be direct and clear: "You said you liked the birds to be on your property because they control ticks and eat your food waste. Have you changed your mind? If so, you will need to stop making food available or it will be very difficult for me to control them as you already trained them to go to your property for food."
The birds are yours, and it is your responsibility to keep them in your yard. You dont get to choose for your neighbor what is best for them or their gardens. It may be frustrating and seem petty on the part of your neighbor(s), but to contain and control your chickens is the law, and just plain decency.
I'm not letting the chickens over there, she is leaving the gate open a few times when she comes over here, and everyone knows chickens run for freedom like cats do.
This may have been covered, but how many chickens are we talking here? 6? 60? She definitely needs to stop trespassing on your property and feeding your animals. I am wondering if - before you put up your fence- she liked the few she saw and fed them, but then realized how distructive they can be? Chickens can destroy a garden very quickly. Even though you say her plants were dead, she may have just planted new ones or bulbs.
Everyone needs to stay on their own side of the yard. I would tell her ‘I’m so sorry to have to ask this, but my chickens have gotten a bit sick and are now on a special diet, so please don’t feed them’.
I was at like 10, but now down to three of them. Unfortunately it seems that everyone has gone vegan and don't eat eggs or chicken nuggets. So its harder to get rid of them even to older farmers who don't have a problem getting their own dinner. And unfortunately it is 2 roosters and a hen. I'm in country so no regulations on roosters as long as they aren't for animal fighting since a bunch of people get them for "dinner". I made that a requirement of buying my property since I was planning on raising chickens to for the eggs and always have the bad luck of ending up with at least 1 rooster. For example, The younger one of the roosters was supposed to be a hen, but turned out to be a rooster. Doesn't crow much for some reason. Is actually really quiet. And the other rooster I plan on getting rid of since he is one of the roosters that used to crow alot in the morning. He is quiet ever since he lost a fight with the coyote. His feathers are finally growing back in. So hopefully someone will want him once his feathers grow back as a regular old farm rooster.

Last edited:
You have my sympathy.

But there is one thing I do not understand: why do you let her do all these things?
There is a lot you could do to keep her away and reinforce boundaries.

In case she really is nuts, prepare and collect evidence for an official complaint.

Set up cameras, file a complaint, sue her for messing with your animals and setting them free, let her pay for the loss of your chickens (lifestock!), get a restraining order (harassment, ongoing trespassing etc.), set up a sprinkler system that will get her wet every time she sets foot on your property or electrify your fence including the coop door handles etc. "to keep raccoons out".

But be careful to only do electric fence OR sprinkler system. Mixing both could lead to death.

After getting the "raccoon treatment" I doubt she will ever touch any door handles on your property again, whether yard gate, run door or coop door handles.
Vintage Vhs GIF by vhspositive

Back
Top Bottom