Help! New neighbor suddenly hates chickens!

How long have you lived there? How long has she lived there? How long has she been trespassing?

If you are clearly telling her not to come onto your property, she is trespassing. Put a lock on the gate, change the camera angle so it will absolutely see her. Have you talked to the police? Next time she comes over, call the police. Also, she is littering on your property.

Keep the chickens where people can't reach them from outside the property line.

She cannot claim adverse possession of your property, she doesn't meet the requirements.
She has been there for about a year now. I have this is my third year living here. It was around the time when she was buying the property when it started. Before her there was a little old lady who had some sort of dementia/Alzheimer's thing going on so she unfortunately could not be an eye witness I would think. Poor little lady thought I was a tall blond skinny real estate agent from the posters in town. But I am a short, brunette and overweight. I am trying to angle the camera better so it shows just the boundary line she is messing with and my property near it without intruding so the camera will activate when she crosses it but not if she's on her property just in case. I talked to police, who sent me to sheriff office since it is in the county and outside city limits. They finally had me call the plant board and then the environment quality department since she was using chemicals, and it may or may not be pesticides being used versus some cheap so it yourself home mixed stuff from household cleaners. the plant board recommended filing an encroachment report but it is hard to get a police form filled out. and one, a lady sheriff said it was a civil matter so I probably would have to hire a lawyer. I did fill out a report about the chemicals since I know for sure she is doing that and the dead plants are proof of it and I actually have the time when she did it last since I filled out the report the next morning after I saw the damage when I got home. The rest is a she said they said thing since I hadn't recorded the first few interactions I had with her since I just thought she was venting or had a bad day and didn't think she actually would do anything. So I didn't have as much information on that other then this thread. Unfortunately the environment quality department is backed up. My guess is COVID-19 and small department just can't keep up with calls. So not sure if I should wait for them. I don't want to waste money on a lawyer just for chickens.

Last edited:
Are her plants actually on your property? Rip them out if so. In order for her to even have a chance to claim your property, she has to be trespassing continuously and publicly for at least 7 years, possibly more. And I don't even think she can because you've been living there.

If my neighbor was planting things on my property, i would ask her to remove them. Once. I would probably pick a reasonable amount of time 24 hours- a few days and see if she complies. If she doesn't.. i would be ripping them out myself.

Coming onto my property and opening up my gates to let my birds out? Police. Is it night time when she is opening up the gate?

We should be so lucky to be able to do this with some neighbors!
Technically she is except for the other side of her property that is next to another neighbor. The area she's spraying is over top or next to the fences or past the area that the other neighbors own by where i can tellThe fence on one side is on the boundary line. The rest of it is either about a foot up to several dozen feet onto my property. And the boundary stakes are clear so that she can't claim not knowing that the fences are on the boundary line or my property. This last time was a couple of feet past the boundary line up to the fence.i think it got worse since it has been raining off and on the past couple days After she but the chemicals out so it got even worse and spread up to or past the fence line.
Are her plants actually on your property? Rip them out if so. In order for her to even have a chance to claim your property, she has to be trespassing continuously and publicly for at least 7 years, possibly more. And I don't even think she can because you've been living there.

If my neighbor was planting things on my property, i would ask her to remove them. Once. I would probably pick a reasonable amount of time 24 hours- a few days and see if she complies. If she doesn't.. i would be ripping them out myself.

Coming onto my property and opening up my gates to let my birds out? Police. Is it night time when she is opening up the gate?
I think most of them are on the boundary line I think or in potted plant containers near or on her porch, or surrounded be a ten foot dog kennel that was on the other side of the boundary fence where the chicken coop used to sit before a neighbor who likes my chickens helped me move it a couple years ago to help keep the chickens safe. I have potted plants to and so far the only messed with a lavender plant I had cause I had moved it off the porch to near their coop while cleaning the deck so they thought it was fair game and the hen wanted to lay an egg in the new potted dirt there since it smelled fresh. As for opening the main gate, it was when I was at work and I work odd hours if I have to drive far. It is one of those big gates on Farms that people can open but not animals except May be a bear. I had put chicken wire across it to keep the chickens from escaping. I came home at least once i remember last year to it open when I know I had closed it because I had to open it, drive car through, get back out, and close it again. and she has said she fed the chickens while I was gone another time. some left over food which was near the coop I mentioned in an earlier thread I think. Usually the neighbors know I am home just to get permission from me so i have a general idea who's over in case of an emergency. as for the chicken run, the chickens found a way to jump over the wire which was why I made sure to close the main gate in case a chicken figured out how to jump over the run to escape. As for the coop, that could be me forgetting to close it since I didn't have any close neighbors for a year or so that the chickens could bother so it's possible I forget that one, but not the outer gate.

Last edited:
I hear you. My post that you quoted above was more a tongue-in-cheek response, but I hear you loud and clear and read through this thread fully. You have a real pain in the *** on your hands.

I think you need to confront her head on, but gently, as soon as possible. If you can't reach an understanding on the boundaries (literal and figurative) and that avenue runs its course, then it's time to not play so nice.
Unfortunately, we can't always pick our neighbors but some conversation will often go a LONG way to resolving many issues before it's time to take the gloves off.......

I hear you. My post that you quoted above was more a tongue-in-cheek response, but I hear you loud and clear and read through this thread fully. You have a real pain in the *** on your hands.

I think you need to confront her head on, but gently, as soon as possible. If you can't reach an understanding on the boundaries (literal and figurative) and that avenue runs its course, then it's time to not play so nice.
Unfortunately, we can't always pick our neighbors but some conversation will often go a LONG way to resolving many issues before it's time to take the gloves off.......
Sorry, I was quoting jenwisp and somehow it added your post I. With hers. I did drop my phone a couple days ago, so that might be why.

Back
Top Bottom