Help! Newbie. Possible fertile egg. Please help!

Muffin14143

Songster
Feb 11, 2013
New England
Hello BYC members,
I'm a newbie and I need help. I have owned chickens for while. I love this forum and have been reading it for a long time. I finally decided to take the plunge and join. I have six hens, and one mille fleur rooster. We were hit bad by the storm, and had to evacuate. I left some eggs in the house (we had to leave fast, it was an emergency) and I think one of them may be developing into a chick. The house was cold enough so that a guppy froze to death (R.I.P Speedy). I saved the other fish by putting them in jars and heating the jars in a fondue pot. That should give you an idea on the temperature of the house at the time. The power came back last night. We have had the egg for about 5 days. When candled, a quarter of it appears lighter, and a dark spot (which appears light when candled) about the size of a child's pinkie fingernail, is seen on the opposite side of the egg. I will get in touch with a man my friend knows, who breeds chickens and has many incubators. I just want your advice on this. Everybody is so nice and knowledgeable on this forum. It is by far the best on the web. There appears to be a darker object wrapped around the spot when candled. I believe the egg is from a five year old Salmon Faverolles (Minnie).
I will get some pics as soon as I can. Thank you, and I hope you are all okay after the storm.

:frow Welcome ot the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :celebrate

You might look at blood spots and meat spots at this link. I suspect what you are seeing is a meat spot.

Egg Quality Handbook
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

There is no way a fertile egg will develop at those temperatures. If you were in the mid 80’s or higher, it could happen.

These blood spots and meat spots are not all that uncommon, especially in pullets just starting to lay and in older hens. The reason you don’t see them in the commercial eggs at the store is that they normally electronically candle those eggs so the public doesn’t see them. Smaller operations like organic farms or farmer’s market people may not candle though the bigger organic places selling to nationwide chains probably do.

There is nothing unsafe or wrong with an egg that has a blood spot or meat spot. The commercial egg laying operations often sell them to bakeries or such as that to get a little money for them. I’ll cook up and eat an egg that has a small blood spot but I try to remove the meat spots first. Not that they are unsafe, I just can’t get past the YUK! factor.

Oh, thanks so much for replying! I was worried. Good to know I have nothing to worry about. I love chickens, and know a lot about them, but hatching and embryos are my weak spot, I've never hatched. Hope to see you again on the forum, Ridgerunner!
thumbsup.gif

frow.gif
Welcome ot the forum!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!
celebrate.gif

You might look at blood spots and meat spots at this link. I suspect what you are seeing is a meat spot.

Egg Quality Handbook
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

There is no way a fertile egg will develop at those temperatures. If you were in the mid 80’s or higher, it could happen.

These blood spots and meat spots are not all that uncommon, especially in pullets just starting to lay and in older hens. The reason you don’t see them in the commercial eggs at the store is that they normally electronically candle those eggs so the public doesn’t see them. Smaller operations like organic farms or farmer’s market people may not candle though the bigger organic places selling to nationwide chains probably do.

There is nothing unsafe or wrong with an egg that has a blood spot or meat spot. The commercial egg laying operations often sell them to bakeries or such as that to get a little money for them. I’ll cook up and eat an egg that has a small blood spot but I try to remove the meat spots first. Not that they are unsafe, I just can’t get past the YUK! factor.
Great information, pss sorry about your loss!

Oh, that's okay! If the chick had been a roo, I probably couldn't have kept him anyway. I get way too attached to my chickens! Lol! I would rather not have to worry about rehoming it.

Back
Top Bottom