Help! No chemistry in the coop

Wild Duck

Chirping
Sep 5, 2018
Quick background: I have a mallard hen that I found as a duckling by itself this spring, and raised. I then have 2 drakes that I was told are White Layers from metzer farm and a muscovy hen that are all 19 weeks old that I bought to be the mallards friends, straight run from a local farmer.

Now to the issue: The white layers which are now grown to two full size drakes are getting very aggressive including sexually. The muscovy has no problem getting away, not to say they aren’t becoming an issue for her. But the mallard is in poor shape and I’ve had to separate her for now. Overnight she is no longer flying and seems frail and she now hides from the white layers, and when I got her out of the run the white ducks charged and mounted her until I got them off. Neither the mallard or muscovy have started laying yet and to them this probably just seems violent.
I do not know how to handle this, but I do not want to put them all in the coop together again, unless they can get along, and I don’t think I could comfortably get them through the New England winter seperated. I do not want more ducks, at least until next spring, and I do not want to slaughter one or both of the drakes though it seems like the only option and I hope people here have better ideas. Thanks for your time and help!

Domestic ducks [drakes] don't seem to take off much time due to winter and still are hormonal, And your little Mallard being so small is getting the brunt of it. Your female Muscovy would most likely be able to handle one of your drakes although having at least 3-4 more females will make it a lot easier on her. But your tiny Mallard is no match. I'd keep the drakes separated from the females especially since your one is already doing poorly. Ducks are pretty tough so as long as they have a way to stay out of the weather and soft bedding they should be okay separated. Best thing would be to find a home for your most aggressive of the 2 drakes then add more females in the spring. Or keep them separated until you decide what to do for your Mallards sake. Get some good poultry vitamins [Poultry Nutri drench is one] and start giving it to the Mallard in her drinking water it's fine for the Muscovy to have it too. If she isn't sick this should help her start feeling better.

Nothing has changed. After the first night seperated, I let them out this morning and the drakes are showing some serious aggression in the yard, so now I’m leaving them in the run which I don’t want to do, especially long term.
I’m currently thinking of maybe trying to order a couple more adult female ducks. The main coop is too big for only two ducks so it will help keep them keep warm through the nights if I have to seperate the drakes, and might slow down/distribute and make these attacks by the drakes a bit more bearable.
That is just a thought at the moment, obviously not anything I’m sure will work but I feel I have to try something and soon. So any advice or suggestions are still definitely welcome. Thanks everyone!

I let them all out together @Miss Lydia. I picked up 3 more adult hens (2 golden 300s and supposedly a buff orpington but doesn't really look like one) last night. They are separate but visible, and I'm working 12 hour days today and tomorrow so hopefully friday I can let all my birds out and enjoy them + my pipe in peace!

Back
Top Bottom