Help on newborn Nigerian Dwarf goat-- Emergency!

is your area low in selinium??? if so, you need to give her a shot of BOSE about 1cc

the pritchard nipples are great for these little kids... they are a red nipple with a yellow screw on thing, they fit on almost any soda bottle. for the nigi babies we use the 'bug juice' or hog wash bottles (they are juice for human kids dump it out and rinse well)

I'd go with a dose of BoSe, and try to encourage her to nurse from mama. I had a ND that was born (trips) and seemed to walk on the top of her toes (feet bent behind). She straightened out after a few days. Remember that they are in tight quarters for a while...it takes a little while to unfold. If she is acting normal otherwise, I'd leave her with mama, keep an eye on her, and encourage her to nurse. I have raised several trips without bottle feeding. You just have to keep an eye on the babies, make sure that they are all eating and gaining weight, and that mama is eating enough to keep up with the demands of the babies. Good luck!

Agreed. The kid needs some Bo-Se. It does require a prescription. In the meantime, you can puncture a Vitamin E capsule and give the contents to her. It may take 2-3 days for her to get on her feet. You'll have to make sure she is eating, and especially that she get some colostrum. If she's not, supplement her.

Since the kid was deficient, you may want to give mama goat a dose of Bo-Se also.

Thank you for all your support. Her legs had to straighten them self out - i went and got some colustrum and was able to get her to start to nurse from Mom. I have also been supplementing her - sadly when i went out this morning she had passed away - curled up with mom. I think there must have been some other things internally or something., She seemed fine - but was really loud - perhaps things werent wired right inthe otside - Oddly she was the biggest of the triplets. Ona bright note the other two are doing brilliant

So sorry to read about your little doe....But it's good to know the other 2 are doing well.
hugs.gif

you need to get some bose when you are breeding goats, i would give it to the mothers before i bred them and about 3-4 weeks before birth, it helps with the birthing and keeping white muscle disease at bay, also get some sweetlix loose mneral, it has a good amount of copper in it, another thing is sometimes it takes a few days for their legs to straighten out especially when they are cramed in the womb with multiples, sorry about the baby you lost, have fun with the others though

Thank you all - i was aware of the selenium deficiency in this area - but the mineral blocks i give have that and so forth. I really think there was some thing else wrong with her internally - she wouldnt stop screaming - a bluechip stock - that is a beautiful Dachshund on your avatar - have a mini dapple and a retired champ standard wirehair
But here is what i did end up with - alive - feisty - nursing great - just thought i would share
65521_so_cute.jpg

65521_standing.jpg

65521_val.jpg

Back
Top Bottom