Help! One of my hens has a swollen eye. What do I do?

Pics
I think it's looking better from what I can see in your photos!

If you can do it, then I'd rinse the eye at night, this will rinse away the day's dust and debris. Then apply a dot of Terramycin ointment in her eye. This will melt and be absorbed into the eye overnight while she's sleeping. Sounds like it will be easier on you both to wait until she's roosting too. No chasing about during the day and much less stressful.

It's good to see her out and eating! :)

I think it's looking better from what I can see in your photos!

If you can do it, then I'd rinse the eye at night, this will rinse away the day's dust and debris. Then apply a dot of Terramycin ointment in her eye. This will melt and be absorbed into the eye overnight while she's sleeping. Sounds like it will be easier on you both to wait until she's roosting too. No chasing about during the day and much less stressful.

It's good to see her out and eating! :)
Thank you!
What should I do for her eye in the future?

I think checking on it every other day or week would be a good idea.

Should I ever need to put saline in her eye after I know any infection or whatever is gone?

After you finish treating her, then I would keep watch on her eye every couple of days, just take a look at her.
Rinse or clean the eye as needed.

It's always good to have some saline on hand or you now have the recipe to make your own if you have to. Sometimes a bird may get some dirt or debris in their eye that needs to be rinsed out every once in a while, it happens. Just like sometimes we get something in our eye.

Back
Top Bottom