Help, pale coloring and loss of facial feather also limping on one leg

Chicksandme

Songster
8 Years
Aug 27, 2015
Amador County, California
I have few issue here at my homestead.

1. I got these 3 Ameracauna from my neighbor about 4month ago have noticed lots of runny poop that Dark bright green and some brown & white in color and has been runny and I thought it was from stress & from new environment.
I also just starting noticing really stinky, pasty and chocolate in color poop from my original flock and wondering if it can be from my 3 month old and the 2 year old that are sick.

2. I have 2 year old hen that looks like she is loosing weight and she seems to be lathargic, thin, poopy butt and not roosting. She is still eating an gets around but not really energetic. I have lost other birds in the 3 years with similar symptoms, it might be Merek diesease but not sure and I hope not. I now have to isolate her as well.

3. I have a 3 month old chicken that just lost it's facial feathering and looks a little swollen around the cheeks and so pale and has been limping on one leg about 2-3 days. She is such a sweetie and loves to jump on my shoulder when she sees me but I discovered the problem couple days ago and decided maybe she sprang her ankle because her & 3 other flock mates gets chased by the older girls. I went to bandage her up but noticed the face that looks so pale. I got her isolated and also started the Corid treatment for Coccocide because the 1 week old chicks I have in the house had it and I thought they might have gotten it from them.

4. I also have 6 week old chick that a broody hen hatched and mama died from being stuck in between a bale of straw and metal nesting box. She was one of the hen I got from my neighbor and went missing until the chick was chirping on top of straw bale that her mama could not get out of. I was so sad for weeks over it. So I'm her mama and has become the house chicken for now. I noticed her feather is breaking off or at least it looks that way. Do you know what it might be?
Desperately seeking advice!
So if you can help in any of these problems I'm having I would really appreciated.

Ps. How do I add a picture on this post?

To add a photo click on the "upload a file" window at the bottom of the reply window. It takes you to your computer photo file where you can then select the photo you wish to post, then click "open". If you choose the 'full" size image, it shows the most detail.

You have so many issues, it's probably why no one has tackled your post. You seem to have a generally ailing flock. Probably you have one or more avian viruses at work with attending bacterial infection. You would do well to try to get some antibiotics to administer to the sick chickens. Perhaps even treat the entire flock.

Your baby chick is probably just losing down and growing so fast it hasn't got the feathers to cover it completely yet.

The only normal thing you've mentioned is the chocolate pudding, evil smelling poop which is probably normal cecal poop.

BFFD40F9-3224-44B6-9FEB-9B0A8A68B01D.jpeg
To add a photo click on the "upload a file" window at the bottom of the reply window. It takes you to your computer photo file where you can then select the photo you wish to post, then click "open". If you choose the 'full" size image, it shows the most detail.

You have so many issues, it's probably why no one has tackled your post. You seem to have a generally ailing flock. Probably you have one or more avian viruses at work with attending bacterial infection. You would do well to try to get some antibiotics to administer to the sick chickens. Perhaps even treat the entire flock.

Your baby chick is probably just losing down and growing so fast it hasn't got the feathers to cover it completely yet.

The only normal thing you've mentioned is the chocolate pudding, evil smelling poop which is probably normal cecal poop.
Right now I have the 3 1/2 month old girl can’t use one leg, gasping for air. I gave her some Corid 3ml by mouth also notice she had these tiny brown things crawling on her so I dusted her with Seven. I keep thinking the critters were sucking the life out of her and maybe a respiratory issue, what do I do?

Attachments

• C61FC694-AB2A-425E-8902-9BEC60927D45.jpeg
    C61FC694-AB2A-425E-8902-9BEC60927D45.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 974EFBFF-B74B-4926-872A-2E9D3A81A82B.jpeg
    974EFBFF-B74B-4926-872A-2E9D3A81A82B.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 3
4AB80CE0-CAB1-4D08-A2FE-383A0B35D5B5.jpeg
C1E4F1BD-498A-4A5A-A318-9372911D9121.jpeg
I think i added the wrong picture here. This is the photo of my 2 yr old sick hen that was infested with mice or lice if not both, still haven't learned whats what.

Last edited:
Treating the flock with Corid is a very good start. You likely have a respiratory virus in the flock and treating those with active symptoms would also be a good place to tackle next. See this for a better understanding of how to select these drugs to treat your flock http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/treating-illness-in-poultry-flocks-by-understanding-treatment-types/ You may need a vet to help you get them. Most of these drugs can be bought online with a vet's prescription. Here's the online pharmacy I use. https://www.kvsupply.com/pharmacy/558/

The parasites, likely lice, are opportunistic on chickens with lowered immune defenses as your flock probably has. They are probably not the cause, although dusting for them is a good idea to relieve some of the stress these birds are under.

Back
Top Bottom