Help!! Panting Duckling!

MamaDonna

In the Brooder
May 25, 2016
Toronto, Canada
I picked up two pekin ducklings yesterday afternoon and by later in the evening, one of them started panting heavily :( I read some posts on here and decided hmto give her a bath to be sure her nostrils were clear but the panting has continued today.
I've also noticed her bill and feet are very warm. What can I do??

Do you know the temps in your brooder? Pekins seem to get over heated more so than other ducklings . Do they have a way to dunk their heads into their drinking water. Keeping their nares and eyes clean.
The temp is quite warm in the brooder, however I have had them out of the brooder most of the day and it's still panting. I let them go for a swim this morning, and they have had water available to dunk in all day. The other duckling is not panting at all, just the one.

Your letting them swim in warm water right?

Are they newly hatched? if newly hatched around 85 should be brooder temp some say 90 but somewhere in between would be good too. Then you drop it 5* each week there after .

@onaharley has a Pekin duckling that does the panting also

Stress can make them pant, when you say you've had them out of the brooder most of the day where are they?

IMG_2914.jpg
Ok so the ducks are gonna run at a high temp like in the 100s
Daffy pants more than Daisy both pekin
I got him more water and try to be strict in the temp chart I have to get them acclimated for outside stuff seems to be panting less
Mine are super sensitive to heat and cold so they might be pansys ;)

Are they newly hatched? if newly hatched around 85 should be brooder temp some say 90 but somewhere in between would be good too. Then you drop it 5* each week there after .

Stress can make them pant, when you say you've had them out of the brooder most of the day where are they?
Yep, i sure do....being too hot and stress has played a factor in this. Since you just got them home i would allow a couple of days for the ducklings to get use to their new home. should this continue on, like all the time then we might have to dive into other options. But i have a feeling they will be just fine once they get use to everything.

They've been hanging out in my family room, in towels with food and water available.. They are much happier out of the brooder and they come looking for me to keep them company. I don't think they're stressed from handling.
I think I've figured it out... the lady who hatched them had them out in the barn with a heat lamp, and with me they're in the house where it's obviously much warmer. I moved them to their own brooder and they have been much happier (though if they're in there when I'm around they scream for me to come pay attention to them )

View attachment 1331813 Ok so the ducks are gonna run at a high temp like in the 100s
Daffy pants more than Daisy both pekin
I got him more water and try to be strict in the temp chart I have to get them acclimated for outside stuff seems to be panting less
Mine are super sensitive to heat and cold so they might be pansys ;)

Yes! I think I've decided my male is a drama queen The female is so content. I guess he is just more sensitive like yours are lol.

Back
Top Bottom