HELP!! Panting pullet, advice please!!!

epeloquin

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Western Massachusetts
I have a 9 week old BR pullet (Alice). She has a tendency to get warm. A week or so ago we had some hot weather for a couple days (daytime highs 90+) and I found her panting a couple times. I took a basin and put a couple inches of cool water in it and made her sit in it (she did not protest) for a few minutes. After that she was fine...no panting.

Tonight I went to close their pop door and I always talk to them at the coop window. Their perch is right next to a window. When I did I saw her right next to the window (their are two other BRs and three RIR) and she was panting as was another Rock (Lil' Peep) who was right next to her, but not as much. The odd thing is that it was not that warm, only around 75 but VERY humid, we had some T-storms moving through. Anyway, I set up a little clip fan and Lil' Peep stopped panting almost right away. I checked them about 2 hours later (still around 70 and very humid) and Alice was still panting although not as much. I adjusted the fan to blow more directly on her and she stopped panting a few minutes later. I set a timer to turn the fan off at midnight because I am worried about leaving it on them too long. In any case, it seems to be helping but I am open to advice.

Any thoughts?

How is the ventilation in your coop? Is there a way to have a small breeze on these nice nights for them.
Also Putting Ice bottles in there will help give off cooler air and something they can sit next to.

The ventilation is good. Their perch runs between the two windows on the side walls and they like to sleep right next to the window. Plus there is ventilation up by the roof. On most nights there is a nice cross breeze but tonight the air is still and HUMID.

82286_dscf0028.jpg

82286_dscf0112.jpg

Goodness, you are a very good and attentive chicken-caretaker :) Good job!
I did the fan-thing ($10 size) too last summer and they LOVED it! It's normal for them to pant when it's really hot and/or humid, so I doubt it's much to worry about. That's sweet of you to worry about them though! If the fan doesn't seem to be enough, you could enlarge the windows but be sure to change the wire to something stronger than chicken-wire. The raccoons can just rip right through it.

I can't help but worry about them. They have really become family pets to us. Especially Alice and another of the Rocks, Brucie, they are cuddle-bugs. They love to come sit with us, they'll preen themselves and go to sleep and often if you try to put them down they press against you and don't want to get down! Too cute.

Back
Top Bottom