Help! Peacock reacting after injection...

stool sample came from outside pen also just found a store that has liquid corid on hand Im going to get as the threads I have read say that the amprol 128 only kills 2 types and not all 9 is this correct

Not correct!

Amprol 128 is the same as 20% Corid powder, both are powders, both are 20% amprolium (200mg per gram). Doesn't matter what you get as long as the active ingredient is amprolium. Make sense?

Sulmet kills *two* of the nine *chicken* coccidia and *two* of the seven *turkey* coccidia and there is no info that I could find on what peafowl coccidia it kills. Sulmet probably works on some peafowl coccidia, just not sure which ones. People on BYC say that amprolium (Corid and Amprol) kills the nine strains of the chicken coccidia, but I have not seen any properly documented studies to support that.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Not correct!

Amprol 128 is the same as 20% Corid powder, both are powders, both are 20% amprolium (200mg per gram). Doesn't matter what you get as long as the active ingredient is amprolium. Make sense?

Sulmet kills *two* of the nine *chicken* coccidia and *two* of the seven turkey coccidia and the is no info that I could find on what peafowl coccidia it kills. People on BYC say that amprolium (Corid and Amprol) kills the nine strains, but I have not seen any properly documented studies to support that.

-Kathy

I wish when someone does a necropsy on a cocci death that the lab would identify what/which the cocci are that affected the pea.... I haven't come across anything so far that explains which strains peas get, and it can't be just pea-specific; if it were a pea-only cocci, then peas wouldn't get cocci if they were where no peas had ever gone.... There have to be strains of cocci that are either common to chickens or other fowl, or maybe to the little tweety birds that come steal the scratch... Because I don't think it's transmissible in the egg, and there's plenty of peas that get hatched from eggs far away from other peas....
idunno.gif

Maybe next time one of us has a necropsy done we can ask them to be more specific, like provide the area of the intestines affected? It would be great if they would tell us what species it was, but I asked for that once and they blew me off. Each species does look different microscopically from what I have seen in books.

-Kathy

Maybe next time one of us has a necropsy done we can ask them to be more specific, like provide the area of the intestines affected? It would be great if they would tell us what species it was, but I asked for that once and they blew me off. Each species does look different microscopically from what I have seen in books.

-Kathy

Well, firstly, am for sure hoping it's awhile before anyone needs a necropsy
fl.gif
But yes, that could be helpful.

The weird thing is that it seems like cocci is pretty hit or miss with the peas, so I'm really wondering which strains affect them, and what the carrier source is? It seems like not many folks have a problem, but when they do, it's horrible and the peas are really vulnerable to it. Wish someone would study it, because it's important to know where this is coming from in terms of protecting our peas. For example, if the strains that affect peas are only carried by turkeys, or only affect chickens, it might change some of our practices...

-Kathy

Well, firstly, am for sure hoping it's awhile before anyone needs a necropsy :fl   But yes, that could be helpful.

The weird thing is that it seems like cocci is pretty hit or miss with the peas, so I'm really wondering which strains affect them, and what the carrier source is?  It seems like not many folks have a problem, but when they do, it's horrible and the peas are really vulnerable to it.  Wish someone would study it, because it's important to know where this is coming from in terms of protecting our peas.  For example, if the strains that affect peas are only carried by turkeys, or only affect chickens, it might change some of our practices...

We really need a professional to explan it to us. So far the only coccidia I have seen in my flock has been in guineas keets and chicken chicks, and I have had peachicks with them when they were sick. The three peas that UC Davis necropsied were not mine, they were dead bodies that I took from the feedstore and shipped.

-Kathy

We really need a professional to explan it to us. So far the only coccidia I have seen in my flock has been in guineas keets and chicken chicks, and I have had peachicks with them when they were sick. The three peas that UC Davis necropsied were not mine, they were dead bodies that I took from the feedstore and shipped.

-Kathy

Absolutely! Wish we could get someone interested in studying our birds
caf.gif

An interesting side note; the pen that I had the fecal float confirm Cocci, those birds look as healthy as any bird I have ever seen. They have and have had Cocci for months, look and act fine and have great appetites.

Guess I'm trying to say just because they look fine doesn't mean that they are. Also an affirmation of the importance of isolation and treatment when bringing home new stock.

An interesting side note; the pen that I had the fecal float confirm Cocci, those birds look as healthy as any bird I have ever seen. They have and have had Cocci for months, look and act fine and have great appetites.

Guess I'm trying to say just because they look fine doesn't mean that they are. Also an affirmation of the importance of isolation and treatment when bringing home new stock.

They probably are fine. They have built up a resistance/tolerance and they are now able to thrive even with the cocci. My understanding is that we will never be able to keep our birds free of cocci, we just have to keep them healthy long enough for the resistance/tolerance to develop, and then they can and will live with it. New strains they have not been exposed to can still cause problems, so the isolation and treatment of new stock is still a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom