HELP!! Pecking order

djbader

Hatching
5 Years
May 27, 2014
I need help!!!!!, I have a New Hampshire Red (Lucy) seems to have been picked seems to not be able to see and not active any longer. Just the other day I found my Rhode Island Red (Reba) dead in coop. Looks like my delaware's (2 yrs old) is being bossy. I have separated her into her own coop 2 days ago. What can I do to help her?

Last edited:
Sorry about your troubles, a little more information will help us to help you.
Which "her" are you wanting help with - helping Lucy recover or helping your delaware with a behavior adjustment? How did you conclude that Reba died from aggression? What wounds are you seeing on Lucy that makes you believe it is aggression related?
Are Lucy and the Delaware the only birds you have left at this point? If not, how many other birds do you have? How long have you had them housed together? What is the amount of space inside the coop and inside the run? Do they stay confined to the coop and run or are they able to get out and range?

For the weak ones, I immediately give bird Gatorade (save-a-chick or similar) and probiotic in drinking water. Or any bird feeling off, for that matter - it cannot hurt. This will help them replenish lost electrolytes from stress.

As Ol Grey says, it would be helpful to know how the determination of peck-by-death was discerned. Many chickens will sense weakness if other birds are ill within the flock and then pick on said birds.

Are any of your birds experiencing diarrhea along with the listlessness or any other symptoms of illness?

Hello Ol Grey Mare,
Here are my answers to your questions:

How did you conclude that Reba died from aggression?
I am not sure exactly but she was by the feeder in the coop. She was fine the day and evening before. I know my Delaware's are bossy and they go in there a lot to feed and run others off.

What wounds are you seeing on Lucy that makes you believe it is aggression related?
I don't see any wounds, she can't see and sits by herself now. This happened in like 2 days. They all were so energetic and hung with everyone. When I would give them treats in the afternoons she is always my talker ??. This happened to one of my other chickens the Delaware kept pecking her head and blinded her. I separated her from everyone but she eventually died.

Are Lucy and the Delaware the only birds you have left at this point?
If not, how many other birds do you have?
No I have a Rhode Island Red and 2 black orpington.

How long have you had them housed together?
I have a coop for the delawares and Rhode Island Red. They are my oldest. I have a cage for the 2 orpingtons and Lucy (New Hampshire red).
Everyone is a free range all day and go in at night to their coops.

What is the amount of space inside the coop and inside the run? 10x10

Do they stay confined to the coop and run or are they able to get out and range?
Everyone is a free range all day and go in at night to their coops

Today, she is just sitting.
1f614.png

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom