Pecking order

Flwrsmkmehappy

Chirping
Feb 6, 2023
Ok I’m new to chicken keeping, my first flock. They are 4 months old just started laying about 3 weeks ago. Lately I noticed 2 of our Cream Legbar’ combs a bit bloody and pecked at. I have watched lately and notice one of our Rhode Island Reds as the main culprit. They are all hens, 11 of them. I just notice any time I see one of the Creams, probably the most picked on one going to coop to nest the Red will peck and chase her out. I have noticed a few eggs in the covered run, most are in the nesting boxes. I have read a lot about pecking order and I know it’s a bird thing even though it kills me the sweet ones are the most picked on. I did get some Vetericyn Spray which seems to be helping heal the poor girls. Do I have anything to worry about or will they figure it out themselves. Any information at all would be most helpful.

Ok I’m new to chicken keeping, my first flock. They are 4 months old just started laying about 3 weeks ago. Lately I noticed 2 of our Cream Legbar’ combs a bit bloody and pecked at. I have watched lately and notice one of our Rhode Island Reds as the main culprit. They are all hens, 11 of them. I just notice any time I see one of the Creams, probably the most picked on one going to coop to nest the Red will peck and chase her out. I have noticed a few eggs in the covered run, most are in the nesting boxes. I have read a lot about pecking order and I know it’s a bird thing even though it kills me the sweet ones are the most picked on. I did get some Vetericyn Spray which seems to be helping heal the poor girls. Do I have anything to worry about or will they figure it out themselves. Any information at all would be most helpful.
Were they all raised together? I ask because often there are difficulties when introducing new birds to an existing flock. If not, it may be just a squabble, and they will resolve it amongst themselves. Keep us posted, 'cuz more info is always helpful in investigating crime! 🙂

Were they all raised together? I ask because often there are difficulties when introducing new birds to an existing flock. If not, it may be just a squabble, and they will resolve it amongst themselves. Keep us posted, 'cuz more info is always helpful in investigating crime! 🙂
Yes they were all purchased together. Thanks so much! I will just keep watching them.

She got her little egg out but outside the nesting boxes in the floor of the coop. Also they are 5 months old just a correction if that even matters. Seem calm now I put in a few more things of water and frozen watermelon rind to keep them busy in this hot day. Thanks!

The everlasting question is how much space do you have? How do you have the space set up? Often times what was more than enough space for chicks becomes not quite enough space for adult birds.

But often times, the space is just one big open space - really the floor of the run is the only part used. Often times just one feeder, and one waterer. If you are the least bit tight on space, this can seem counter intuitive, but what is needed is a lot of clutter.

Enough clutter, that it is difficult to walk around in the coop. Add mini walls, ladders, roosts, platforms that chickens can get under and on top of. Set up mini walls or crates on their side. This allows chickens to bow to the Queen.

In chicken society, when two birds meet, one bird is the lesser bird, she moves away from the queen, out of sight is best. In an open pen, the lower bird cannot move out of sight, so often times the Queen pecks her again, harder. The Queen thinks she is being disrespectful by not disappearing. I have seen a 6 week old chick, eating by a bird, get a small tap, run away behind something, and come back and eat peacefully beside her seconds later, she 'bowed' to the Queen.

Not only is the victim not getting laying space, I would suspect she may not be getting enough feed. As you add clutter, stick some feed bowls behind a mini wall, positioned so that if a bird is eating at one station, they cannot see a bird eating at another. I have 4 stations set up for 9 birds. I have a multi generational flock, and this makes sure everyone gets enough.

Mrs K

Also they are 5 months old just a correction if that even matters.
It does matter, I was going to ask.......because 4 months minus 3 weeks is usually too young to lay. Even 4 months old is a bit young. When they are that young it's best to give age in weeks rather than months.

When a groups of birds first come into lay things can get a bit gnarly, all those hormones surging, they'll settle down in time.
No need to treat a minor comb bleed, it'll heal up fast on it's own.

It does matter, I was going to ask.......because 4 months minus 3 weeks is usually too young to lay. Even 4 months old is a bit young. When they are that young it's best to give age in weeks rather than months.

When a groups of birds first come into lay things can get a bit gnarly, all those hormones surging, they'll settle down in time.
No need to treat a minor comb bleed, it'll heal up fast on it's own.
I aged mine incorrectly a week or so back when you helped me with a nesting box question....mine a 16 weeks old today and have had their nest boxes up for 2 weeks now so they should have a clue where to make their deposit now! LOL

How many nest boxes do you have and are they installed in a way to provide a darker hiding space?
You coud add some curtains to give them nore privacy.

Does the Rhode Island Red already lay? If not, she might be trying to defend her position as top bird against those already laying as the laying birds would usually surpass the not yet layers in rank.

Back
Top Bottom