Help! Pecking Problem!

dvfd236

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
I have 10 chicks about 6 weeks old. I usually let them out of their coop once a day since the weather has been nice but watching them closely since they are still young. This morning i noticed 2 of the hens have bloody rear ends and the other chicks seem to keep pecking at them. I have isolated the 2 chickens with the bloody rear's and noticed one of the other hens was going around pecking all the others. My first question is will the anti-peck stuff i keep reading about work to fix this issue and if in case the one chick is bullying what do i do to fix that?

Thanks.

It should help. Have you checked them for mites? If they don't have any issues like that It sounds like they're bored. Too little space can be a problem. Are they roosting yet? If roosts are staggered in height but too close together chickens will peck the vents of the birds above.

this is want i have seen others say about bullies:

remove the bully for a couple of day about seven. the rest of the chick will make a new pecking order. then re-introduce the bully and she will have to find her new place in the pecking order. if you see blood remove her again.

i am still new too and i am trying to work out mixing two flocks into one flock. so i am having bullying problems too.

As a matter of fact i just installed a staggered roosting pole last night. Havent had any problems until today. I bet that is what is causing it.

Thanks!

Purchased Peck-No-More by Rooster Booster. Seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for the help!

I hav four hens and I got them in october 2012 then they were around 20-21 weeks old. One of them (the oldest) is pecking the feathers from the others bottoms. What wud u recommend? Ther is no blood but she eats some of the feathers.

Feather eating is often a need for more protein. Cut out treats and scratch for a while and up the protein. Mix in some grower feed or in place of usual treats or scraps give some tuna, yogurt, meat/fish scraps, meal worms, etc..
After the situation corrects keep scratch to under 10% of the total intake. Add some BOSS to the scratch grains as it is much higher in protein, vitamins and minerals than grain.

Thank you. We do give them alot of mixed corn! We'll stop it for a while. When u say scraps do u mean things like veg peelings and bits of cheese n cucumber n lettuce? Coz they get alot of that sort of thing too.

Growing birds need at least 18% protein, grown birds at least 15%. If their diet contains anything other than feed of those percentages then you need to give a higher percentage protein feed.
Corn and most grains are only about 10% protein so if half of their diet is corn and they are getting a 16% layer feed then their total intake is 13%. That's not enough to maintain a body and you get feather eaters because feathers are over 90% protein.
By scraps I mean kitchen scraps. They're omnivorous and can eat anything we do but some things aren't good for them just like humans eat a lot of things that aren't good for them either.
Stay away from bread or other salty things.

Do u no y only one hen is eating the others feathers? Surely if it was a protein problem the others wud be doing the same? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom