HELP pipped at wrong end

1 Critter Camp

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 26, 2013
Kentuckky
It's day 19... I just saw a pip at small end... lock down for others, humidity almost perfect!!! What do I do, open or leave it alone!!!????
hit.gif

If you are not sure it can breath....i would maybe pop it out and use a sharp clean needle to make a tiny, tiny tear right there to make sure it can breathe.

After that I would leave it alone for maybe two days, perhaps with a damp paper towel around it so it didn't dry out.

But, chicks like that...... It is a very tricky thing helping with hatch.

If you are not sure it can breath....i would maybe pop it out and use a sharp clean needle to make a tiny, tiny tear right there to make sure it can breathe.

After that I would leave it alone for maybe two days, perhaps with a damp paper towel around it so it didn't dry out.

But, chicks like that...... It is a very tricky thing helping with hatch.

I am so scared to open incubator... I have had shrink wrapped chicks (I think) and have read that if you open it with chicks that have internal pipped you can cause shrink wrap! This just sucks. My first chick that pips is at the wrong end. If it had been one of the last eggs, I could open and do something... I have 10 eggs and scared to do anything! I can't believe it didn't make it through the membrane!!!!
barnie.gif

Sometimes the hole is too small to see. I had a couple in this weeks hatch that looked like the pip didn't open the membrane. But they hatched just fine. And I have had chicks hatch successfully from the wrong end several times. A lot depends on the size of the chick relative to the egg.
I would not open the incubator. I too have dealt with shrink wrapped chicks and sometimes they just don't make it.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom