Help pipping

mmwellsfarm

Chirping
Aug 8, 2022
I have an egg that's been in the incubator for 24 days. It doesn't look like it can pip properly because it appears to have somehow stayed on one side of the eggs (I had a rotator) and no sure how that happened. I can see it moving but not able to rotate when I candled it to see if it was still alive. How do I pip this easily for it? I was thinking of trying to put a small hole where the air pocket is but I want to make sure I do that properly. I saw a thread that said use a screw but I couldn't get it to work for me.

Read this article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

It covers most all issues that can arise when assisting a hatch. I hope your current chick makes it, but whether it does or not; the article will help you with any future assisted hatches. If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I just couldn't figure out how to get the screw to work to make that tiny hole. All it did was hurt my fingers.

The best pictures I can get but if you can look closely there is a shadow in the center that moves but nothing else around the edge does.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230713-112153.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230713-112153.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 6
  • VideoCapture_20230713-112210.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230713-112210.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 6
If you believe the chick is alive but not able to rotate, and it has been in the incubator for 24 days, it is probably time to assist. Some who have assisted say they will never do so again, because the chick was deformed or otherwise too weak to survive. But it is also possible the chick can't move because it's shrink-wrapped. If you decide to proceed, please read the article i linked first.

Back
Top Bottom