Help please!! ASAP!!

Pics

Marshmallow1234

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
Canada
My 2 older hens keeps biting my younger hen! Her back lost feathers and I saw a bald area without feathers. What should I do!! (I first got the younger hen but then I added 2 more older hens, I just put them together outside but I didn’t know they would bully each other that bad. It’s been 2 months and I noticed them pecking her but I didn’t know her feathers were falling out, I am separating them by using another cage outside with the younger hen she hasn’t started laying. She wouldn’t eat or drink. What should I do!? Should she sleeep in the box I made instead? Would she be lonely? She seems to follow them around even if they bite her... but when I put her on the cage she’s silent and just standing. Please reply fast!

picture here

Attachments

• D152ED64-4ED3-434A-BA28-6231B752ABA5.jpeg
    D152ED64-4ED3-434A-BA28-6231B752ABA5.jpeg
    932.1 KB · Views: 35
I just read through the entire thread.
You do not have enough space in that little coop for 2 birds let alone one and trying to integrate your single bird is going to be (already is) a nightmare.

You need more space and a properly ventilated coop, with roosts. You only need a single nest box for three birds. And it should not be taking up valuable floor space.

You need (as has been mentioned more than once) a proper balanced feed for the flock. I highly recommend putting the entire flock on Flock Raiser, All Flock or a non-medicated chick starter. Any complete feed that offers 18-20% protein.

It is very difficult to maintain a flock in snow country without proper space, either in a very large coop or in a coop with an attached, predator proof, solid roofed run.

If you want to have healthy happy birds, you are going to need to provide them with better housing and diet. I think all your problems will be resolved once you've met their basic needs.

As to the integration, they need lots of SPACE, things to hide behind, things to perch on, things to dig around in and multiple food and water stations. Your single bird is squawking and complaining because she doesn't want to be alone. She should be inside a large wire dog crate in the coop/run area with the others so they can adjust slowly to each other but it doesn't look like you have enough room for that. You need to have 4 sq ft of space per bird in the coop and at least 12 sq ft (preferably much more) per bird in the run. The more space the better. Always.

It appears that their run is where a gutter downspout discharges. That isn't good. Their area needs to be kept dry. The cup with water in it nailed to the inside of the coop door should be removed. It's a spill risk and a humidifier that will encourage frostbite when it starts to get really cold.

Can you stand back further from your setup and take some more pictures and post them?
Where exactly are you located? You can update your profile with that general information so it is always displayed with your posts.

In ur opinion do u think it’s nessescary to separate them? Because they are okay with having her beside them or sitting near them BUT if she takes their food when I give treats or she bothers them some way they try and chase her like scare her and as runs she doesn’t get pecked on much but still does if they are inside
Multiple feeders and waterers spread out is a good thing to have.

No she came before the two hens. And when I take the two hens home that day I put her with the two hens. She come from a farm. And I feed her corn grits, oatmeal, mealworms, pumpkin seeds, and rice. I’m trying to get chicken food. I put her in the other pen and she drinks a little bit and eats a bit on her own. Now she is trying to get out the box ( I put hay and food and water but she spilled it) she is also chirping loudly and what should I do? I have no other coop
You NEED to get real food. Hw long have they been off the real feed? You didn't inegrateeihter. You need to integrate, put hem next to each other were they can see not touch, t introduce the hens, or they will beat each other up. Also, whenever you get new birds, you need to sedate them for at least a month away from the other birds to make sure they don't carry any diseases. How old is she?

No she came before the two hens. And when I take the two hens home that day I put her with the two hens. She come from a farm. And I feed her corn grits, oatmeal, mealworms, pumpkin seeds, and rice. I’m trying to get chicken food. I put her in the other pen and she drinks a little bit and eats a bit on her own. Now she is trying to get out the box ( I put hay and food and water but she spilled it) she is also chirping loudly and what should I do? I have no other coop
That is an awful diet with not sufficient protein. That’s why they are eating each other.

I'd just like to add that they really do not need water in the coop at night, as they do not drink at night. I don't know if removing it would give your chickens any significant extra space, but it might help. At your temperatures, though, removing it will certainly lower the odds of your birds getting frostbite on their combs and wattles. You do have lovely birds!

Back
Top Bottom