Help Please: Don't know what to do, I think its some sort of worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sonicpanda123, Mar 28, 2009.

1. sonicpanda123

sonicpanda123 New Egg

Mar 21, 2009
    Today my chickens let out their poop in one giant chunk, it was massive. I thought something was up so I took it out with some sticks and broke it open. There were some yellow inch-worm looking worms inside (it was dead though), is this something I should be very concerned with? What do I do to cure it?

2. OH, PICS PLEASE.

I have been looking for some one that has these.

How big around are these and approximately how long ?

A picture would help if you need to treat your chooks.

3. sonicpanda123

sonicpanda123 New Egg

Mar 21, 2009
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the large picture of my chicken poop but this was the yellow worm.

4. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    I cannot get the pic open. please try again to post it.

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    hello, the bad news is that your chickens have worms, the good news is that you found out and you can treat it real easy, go to TSC and buy some worming liquid, read and do what on the bottle and repait that in 30 days later and your chickens will be fine.
    I had same problem before and I was scared and worry but the good folks hier on BYC told me what to do and now my chickens are happy.

best of luck.

Omran

6. but can you eat the eggs while you are worming them. If not how long to wait, sounds sorta gross to eat an egg while worming the chicken marrie

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It depends on the product. Most of them have a withdrawl times for the eggs.

If you know they have worms, I would go ahead and use a broad spectrum wormer that gets all of the various types of worms (Wazine which is readily available only kills roundworms) liver Eprinex or Ivermectin pour-on. Just toss the eggs during the worming cycle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by