Help please! Duck Coop nesting problem!!!!

SouthernMother

Hatching
May 3, 2021
PLEASE help!
I have a male & female Pekin Ducks. She's been laying eggs daily in the coop but we recently added (rescued) 2 female mallard - (6-8 weeks old now)
They want to follow the Pekins around and they want to stay close to them in the coop with them. The Pekins don't want them around and act scared of them. They seem intimidated by the little ones ... getting out of pond when they get in and moving to other side of coop the they come in.
Now the pekin girl for the first time started a nest outside under some brush (about 10 duck eggs)
She stays there all day but goes into coop at night.
B/c I was worried something would happen to the eggs - last night I moved the nest into coop.
In the morning she "freaked out" looking for outside nest.
Also she "kicked out" the eggs from the nest.
As a result she has found another spot to make a nest in our yard.
Is she doing this because they now have new roommates? There's plenty of room -Not sure what to do at this point

PLEASE help!
I have a male & female Pekin Ducks. She's been laying eggs daily in the coop but we recently added (rescued) 2 female mallard - (6-8 weeks old now)
They want to follow the Pekins around and they want to stay close to them in the coop with them. The Pekins don't want them around and act scared of them. They seem intimidated by the little ones ... getting out of pond when they get in and moving to other side of coop the they come in.
Now the pekin girl for the first time started a nest outside under some brush (about 10 duck eggs)
B/c I was worried something would happen to the eggs - last night I moved the nest into coop.
Is she doing this because they now have new roommates? There's plenty of room -Not sure what to do at this point
Daisy, my pekin duck makes a nest outside under a tree, in very tight area. We are in an area where predators will make off with them quickly. I have to watch for to come out then go to the woods and almost crawl into space to get them. She as well does not accept them moved to her inside nest. Good luck and happy trails

I would remove her eggs (only if you’re thinking they will be harmed), and incubate them yourself. First buy her fake eggs to replace what you remove. She’ll still be happy to mother the ducklings once they’ve hatched. Just bring her in and allow her to sit on them the last few days inside a brooder. If she sits on them, she’ll hatch them. If not, then bring her in as they are hatching. She may take to them immediately. You can brood them inside, with or without her, until they’re 5-7 weeks allowing her time outside 2-3 times a day. She’ll let you know when she needs space😅. Wishing all the best for you and your ducklings🤗.

PLEASE help!
You may also want to try building a temporary shelter over the area she feels safe nesting. A simple 5 sided fencing box you can easily lean up or completely remove from over the nest allowing her out. You could remove it in the mornings so she can have her personal time. She should be on the eggs especially at nights when temperatures are at their lowest. This way she may feel safe herself from predators and brood at night with them instead of going in. Just a thought of what I might do before I’d try incubating them myself. Also put something heavy enough that no predators can get in. Best of luck. Have a great day!!

Back
Top Bottom