Help please! Gender and breed? RIR and americauna

welcome-byc.gif

I'm thinking 1 is a cockerel, the rest are pullets.

I'd love to see pics of that first bird in a month or so! Either gender, it's going to be a stunning bird.

Thanks everybody! I will check the feathers in detail this afternoon.

Unfortunately we can't have a rooster so fingers crossed on #1.

Well my kids just brought in a feather from the chick in question chick #1. Looks very boy doesn't it?
1f61e.png

Well my kids just brought in a feather from the chick in question chick #1. Looks very boy doesn't it?
1f61e.png

No!

Don't get worried yet- this looks more like a wing feather. Tell those kids to quit pulling off the wing feathers, and scaring Mom, okay! lol
The left side of the feather is shorter than the right- one side shorter you see this in wing feathers. That feather should feel pretty firm from top to bottom, with only the very tip very flexable/ moveable. Also, color is wrong for a tail feather on either male or female. Only check the saddlle for now, okay?

Male tail feathers are equal width on both sides, soft, and flexible throughout. Usually they are mostly iridescent black green, and some may have streaks or areas of the reddish color, but should mostly be green. Female can be either but are wider, shorter and rounder. Don't go by tail feathers, as some may look tricky, like below.

Here is one of out Production red cockerels, Red Chicken, when he was 22 weeks old. He is the friendliest chicken (including the hens) that we have.

Here's what I mean about streaks in tail feathers. Mostly green-black overall, with small areas of color... not mostly red with bits of black. His tail feathers may appear hennish if you you're confused at what to look for. On our right, you see pointed feathers, around the tail perimeter, some are oddly pointed, or hardly pointed at all, but they are all pointed to some very small degree, although it doesn't look like it from this photo. Eventually as he aged, his tail feathers drooped downward and appeared more pointed. Unfortunately, he's molted out his tail feathers so we can't show you those right now. lol

This was Rhode Island Rhett at 22 weeks. See how long, skinny and shiny the darker feathers are on hackle, bow and saddle? His tail was starting to point and droop.

This is a pullet. The saddle feathers are fat and round and matte- like the rest of her body feathers. I suspect this is what you will find on your PRs.

The tail looks pullet.

The red patches on the shoulders are frequently a cockerel indicator, though the red isn't quite as dark as one would usually expect. The legs look masculine to me.

Below is an Easter Egger of mine from a few years ago that was similarly colored that was very obviously a cockerel.

Yes they are from a feed store. I'm happy either way. Just hoping #1 ends up being a girl.
EEs will still lay the colorful eggs, you should get anything from medium green to blue. Often they are more productive than true Ameraucanas anyhow. What I like most about them(yours) is that they look like they both have blue diluting genes which is something I want to re-introduce to my flock.

I'm not sure about 1# and 2# but, #3 and #4 are Production Reds. At this time I believe both are pullets, although in a better close up photo of #3 I might feel differently. Want to tell for sure on your PR's- just so you always can tell? Check the saddle feathers (right in front of the tail.). Cockerels will have thin (no larger than 1/2" wide), pointy, extremely glossy feathers starting there. Also in hackle, and wing bows. Hen feathers in this hybrid are always fatter and rounded on edges. Rooster tail feathers are longer, curl more and have a pointed tip, usually beetle green although some can have red stippling. L to R: Rooster tail feather, hen tail feather, hen saddle (or "cushion"), rooster saddle feather. The male's hackle will also somewhat resemble in shape the saddle feathers. Hope you enjoy your chickens! They are all pretty!
I love this demonstration of the different types of feathering. Very informative. Thanks for posting! :-D

Back
Top Bottom